RESETTING ORIGINAL FORMATTING ON SHARED WORKBOOKS

  1. #1
    Meltad
    Guest

    RESETTING ORIGINAL FORMATTING ON SHARED WORKBOOKS

    I've got a spreadsheet that a number of users around the company update and
    send back to me - however they add columns and change stuff so it never comes
    back the same as I sent it out.

    Am I able to reset back to the original view but somehow include their added
    data - can I use a template? Or do I need a macro? Can I control what the
    users save e.g. no extra columns, no tampering with formulas?

  2. #2

    Re: RESETTING ORIGINAL FORMATTING ON SHARED WORKBOOKS

    Personally, I think I'd try to set up a worksheet that met all the requirements
    for all users. Then tell them not to change it. If they change it, send it
    back with a nasty note explaining that this isn't what you asked for.

    If you can't do that, then I think that the only option left is to fix
    everything manually each time you get something back. If the users can add
    columns anyway they want, I would guess that it would be difficult to come up
    with a macro that is robust enough to do the conversion.

    And you can always unlock the cells that require manual input and lock the cells
    that shouldn't be changed (headers/formulas) and then protect the worksheet.

    But worksheet protection is easily broken.

  3. #3
    Gary L Brown
    Guest

    RE: RESETTING ORIGINAL FORMATTING ON SHARED WORKBOOKS

    To protect unwanted changes to your worksheet from the average user, you must
    use a combination of unprotecting the cells you want the user to change and
    protecting your worksheet.

    - Highlight the cells you want to allow users to change.
    - Select Format>Cells>Protection
    - Uncheck the 'Locked' checkbox.
    These are now the only 'unlocked' cells
    - When you've unlocked all the cells you want to allow users to change...
    - Highlight the entire worksheet (left-click on the blank box above the 1 in
    Row 1)
    - Select Tools>Protection>Protect Sheet...
    - Enter a password if desired
    - Select OK

    Done.
    HTH,