how to determine if user has Outlook or Lotus Notes

  1. #1
    jseven
    Guest

    how to determine if user has Outlook or Lotus Notes

    I have a bunch of users spread out in different locations. I have code
    that pulls a tab out of a workbook and emails it to my address. I have
    two problems...

    #1 - I don't know how to determine if the user has Lotus Notes or
    Microsoft Outlook

    #2 - I don't know how to send the worksheet via Lotus Notes like I do
    for Outlook users.

    Any assistance would be appreciated.

    Jamie

  2. #2
    Piotr Lipski
    Guest

    Re: how to determine if user has Outlook or Lotus Notes

    On 30 Jun 2006 15:21:44 -0700, jseven wrote:

    > I have a bunch of users spread out in different locations. I have code
    > that pulls a tab out of a workbook and emails it to my address. I have
    > two problems...
    >
    > #1 - I don't know how to determine if the user has Lotus Notes or
    > Microsoft Outlook

    For Outlook:

    Dim a As Object
    On Error GoTo err_nooutlook
    Set a = CreateObject("outlook.application")
    On Error GoTo 0
    ex_sub:
    Exit Sub

    err_nooutlook:
    MsgBox "No Outlook", vbOKOnly + vbExclamation
    Resume ex_sub

    Probably similar for LN, just replace "outlook.application" with
    "Notes.NotesSession" (I havent't tested it, but should work).

    > #2 - I don't know how to send the worksheet via Lotus Notes like I do
    > for Outlook users.

    I've found this code few months ago (I don't remember where...). I use LN
    6.5 and the code works fine with this version. I don't know if it's
    compatible with other versions.

    'This public sub will send a mail and attachment if neccessary to the
    'recipient including the body text.
    'Requires that notes client is installed on the system.
    Public Sub SendNotesMail(Subject As String, Attachment As String, Recipient
    As String, BodyText As String, SaveIt As Boolean)
    'Set up the objects required for Automation into lotus notes
    Dim Maildb As Object 'The mail database
    Dim UserName As String 'The current users notes name
    Dim MailDbName As String 'THe current users notes mail database name
    Dim MailDoc As Object 'The mail document itself
    Dim AttachME As Object 'The attachment richtextfile object
    Dim Session As Object 'The notes session
    Dim EmbedObj As Object 'The embedded object (Attachment)
    'Start a session to notes
    Set Session = CreateObject("Notes.NotesSession")

    'Get the sessions username and then calculate the mail file name
    'You may or may not need this as for MailDBname with some systems you
    'can pass an empty string or using above password you can use other
    mailboxes.
    UserName = Session.UserName
    MailDbName = Left$(UserName, 1) & Right$(UserName, (Len(UserName) -
    InStr(1, UserName, " "))) & ".nsf"
    'Open the mail database in notes
    Set Maildb = Session.GETDATABASE("", MailDbName)
    If Maildb.IsOpen = True Then
    'Already open for mail
    Else
    Maildb.OPENMAIL
    End If
    'Set up the new mail document
    Set MailDoc = Maildb.CREATEDOCUMENT
    MailDoc.Form = "Memo"
    MailDoc.sendto = Recipient
    MailDoc.Subject = Subject
    MailDoc.Body = BodyText
    MailDoc.SAVEMESSAGEONSEND = SaveIt
    'Set up the embedded object and attachment and attach it
    If Attachment <> "" Then
    Set AttachME = MailDoc.CREATERICHTEXTITEM("Attachment")
    Set EmbedObj = AttachME.EMBEDOBJECT(1454, "", Attachment,
    "Attachment")
    End If
    'Send the document
    MailDoc.PostedDate = Now() 'Gets the mail to appear in the sent items
    folder
    MailDoc.SEND 0, Recipient
    'Clean Up
    Set Maildb = Nothing