VBA & User Form modules vanish

  1. #1
    Pete
    Guest

    VBA & User Form modules vanish

    Can anyone shed any light on why/how an Excel spreadsheet could
    mysteriously "lose" the modules for both user forms and VBA? It seems
    to be happening on emailing using Outlook, but the real mystery is that
    it's intermittent - a spreadsheet sent one day will arrive without the
    modules but if I re-send it then it will in all likelihood keep the
    modules.

    I have been told it might be 3rd party email safety software but if
    that's true then why aren't all my spreadsheets stripped of the modules
    when I send them?

    Any hints gratefully accepted

    Peter UK

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: VBA & User Form modules vanish

    It could be that at some point the file is being saved in the Excel5/95
    format. This format does not support Userforms or sheet module code and this
    code and userforms are removed. I would see it being accidentially saved in
    this format because of the default format setting in the Transformation tab
    of tools => Options rather than some 3rd party program.

    Tom Ogilvy

  3. #3

    Re: VBA & User Form modules vanish

    I think some aggressive antivirus programs can do the same kind of thing.

    Maybe zipping the workbook would fool that AV software (well, if it is the AV
    software causing the trouble).

  4. #4
    Peter
    Guest

    Re: VBA & User Form modules vanish

    Thanks for that Tom - I've checked the settings and there seems to be
    no hint of a transition default hijacking the code. I'm starting to
    wonder if my Excel installation is corrupt in some way - I'm also
    having trouble killing a custom toolbar despite erasing all the
    personal.xls and .xlb files I could find! Will ask IT to re-install and
    see if that helps

  5. #5

    Re: VBA & User Form modules vanish

    Reinstalling excel won't affect your personal.xls or *.xlb files. They won't
    get touched (unless you delete them or their folders).

    close excel
    shell to DOS
    windows start button|Run
    cmd (windows 2k/xp)
    command (windows 98)

    At the DOS prompt:
    C: (to get to the C: drive)
    cd\ (to get to the root directory)

    dir *.xlb /s

    the /s means to search through subdirectories.

    Maybe you'll be able to see/delete the files.

    ======
    But these aren't the cause of your original problem, right???? Deleting them
    shouldn't affect how others receive your file.

  6. #6
    Peter
    Guest

    Re: VBA & User Form modules vanish

    Dave thanks for the replies - my IT guys have just suggested zipping
    the files too so maybe this will fix it. As to the .xlb stuff - thanks
    for the instructions - I'll do this now - and you're right - this isn't
    my actual problem and I seem to have hi-jacked my own thread !!

    I appreciate your help very much

    Pete

  7. #7
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: VBA & User Form modules vanish

    If the menu is attached to the workbook that is causing the problem, then it
    sounds like this workbook was originally created in Excel 95 or earlier and
    it is being saved in that format.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Peter
    Guest

    Re: VBA & User Form modules vanish

    Hi Tom.

    All workbooks have been saved in Office Professional 2003 edition -
    I've worked through them all. My latest bright idea is that maybe it's
    an add-in question - has anyone had conflicts with acrobat pdf maker
    being installed? I remember some years ago having Excels calculation
    function hi-jacked by an addin.

    Regards

    Peter