Excel Freezes When moving from UserFrom to Excel Spreadsheet

  1. #1

    Excel Freezes When moving from UserFrom to Excel Spreadsheet

    I was wondering if anyone else ever runs into this problem, and if so
    what causes it, and how to fix it.

    When I am in the Microsoft Visual Basic Window, there is one form that
    causes excel to freeze (excel.exe resource shoot to 99%), forcing me to

    shut down excel manually, and lose any changes. This only occurs if I
    have that form visible and I toggle from the form back to the
    spreadsheet. There are no problems/errors running the user form. It
    occurs only when I am working in the VB Window and toggle back to the
    Excel spreadsheet window.

    It does not occur with any other UserForm, or when the code is showing.

    Only when I'm on this particular userform.

    Since there is no code running, I don't understand what causes this.
    Is somethign compiling in the background everytime I switch back to
    Excel? I've done some research, I've done the help / detect and repair

    thing. I don't get any error messages, and no errors are present in
    the code.

    Any input is greatly appreciated as I keep losing work...

    Thanks

  2. #2
    RB Smissaert
    Guest

    Re: Excel Freezes When moving from UserFrom to Excel Spreadsheet

    Try running the free VBA CodeCleaner that you can download from:
    http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/CodeCleaner.htm

    RBS

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Excel Freezes When moving from UserFrom to Excel Spreadsheet

    When I try that the first thing I get is an error message that says
    this action will reset your project, and then I get an unexpected Excel
    error that shuts Excel down. It's almost as if something is running to
    begin with, that is getting interupted.

    I then re-opened the worksheet, but this time disabled the macros. I
    then ran CodeCleaner again, and it worked (And also decreased my file
    size by almost 300k, so thanks!)...

    But the problem still remains. Its almost like something is running in
    the background, just by opening up the spreadsheet. But I have no idea
    what, and if I hit the break or stop button nothing happens. It seems
    to get hung up when I toggle from just that UserForm.

  4. #4
    RB Smissaert
    Guest

    Re: Excel Freezes When moving from UserFrom to Excel Spreadsheet

    Is there any code in Worbbook_Open?
    Or any code in Worksheet_Activate?

  5. #5
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Excel Freezes When moving from UserFrom to Excel Spreadsheet

    Does that userform have a RefEdit control on it ?

    NickHK

  6. #6

    Re: Excel Freezes When moving from UserFrom to Excel Spreadsheet

    Yes, Workbook_Open calls multiple programs that Check user authority,
    add menus, and hide/protect worksheets. However, when I run
    Workbook_Open on its own, there are no errors / loops. It works fine.

    The strange part is that I was trying to track down which piece of code
    was causing this. So following your line of thinking, any code
    connected to the "InterviewWiz" - the userform causing me problems - I
    commented out. Once I did that the problem disappeared. HOWEVER, I
    uncommented each section of code and retested, until all the code was
    uncommented, and the problem never came back. I thought I had it
    solved, so I closed it, and reopened it to retest, and the problem was
    back.

    I just went through the exact same process with Workbook_Open per your
    suggestion, with the same results. I commented out all Workbook_Open
    code, and then Uncommented 1 line at a time. Uncommented all code, it
    still worked, and then when I returned, the problem resurfaced.

    I understand your line of thinking, however, my question is if it was a
    problem with the Workbook_Open or Worksheet_Activate, shouldn't the
    problem take place with every userform I have? Or everytime I toggle
    back to the Workbook? This isn't the case, this only occurs withone
    specific userform, and only in "development" mode. No problems at all
    when running any of the programs.

    Thanks for you inputs, any ideas would be appreciated.

    Erik

  7. #7

    Re: Excel Freezes When moving from UserFrom to Excel Spreadsheet

    No, no RefEdit controls, MultiPage form that uses ComboBoxes; Labels;
    TextBoxes is all.

    I guess my question is what programs can be kicked off when I toggle
    from one form to Excel? Is there a way to check this? I could
    understand Worksheet_Activate or Workbook_Activate, but then I would
    expect this to hang anytime they receive focus, not only from a single
    form.

  8. #8
    RB Smissaert
    Guest

    Re: Excel Freezes When moving from UserFrom to Excel Spreadsheet

    Could you post all the code that is in Workbook_Open?
    Are you sure that all the code in Workbook_Open has finished when
    move from that form (in the VBE) to the sheet?
    Put Stop directly after Workbook_Open(), compile and save, close Excel,
    re-start Excel, open the wb, step through the code with F8, go to the form
    in the VBE and go to the sheet and see what happens.

    I agree it seems a strange one.

  9. #9

    Re: Excel Freezes When moving from UserFrom to Excel Spreadsheet

    To make matters worse, it now seems to be working sometimes and not
    working others. I just toggled back and forth about 15 times, no
    problem. I saved it, let the program sit for a while, and then did it
    again, and again it went into "Not Responsding" mode. Forcing me to
    close down. Very frustrating.

    If it is something in the code...shouldn't it be erroring out or
    looping when the code is actually run? I'm getting no errors when I
    operate from the worksheet side...In tools options I turned on Break on
    All errors, and still nothing.