Find New File/Folder

  1. #1
    BOONER
    Guest

    Find New File/Folder

    Okay,

    I need to write a macro that will find the most recently created folder
    within a given folder. I will then need to search that folder for any files
    (.xls) that are not currently linked to the workbook in which the macro is
    contained. I need to return the filename and location for use in another
    macro.

  2. #2
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Find New File/Folder

    This should give you a start anyways. This code MUST be referenced to
    "microsoft Scripting Runtime" (Tools -> References ->...)

    Option Explicit
    Option Compare Text

    Sub test()
    Call ListFiles("C:\", Sheet1.Range("A2"), "xls", True) 'Change the
    directory
    End Sub

    Public Sub ListFiles(ByVal strPath As String, _
    ByVal rngDestination As Range, Optional ByVal strFileType As String = "*", _
    Optional ByVal blnSubDirectories As Boolean = False)
    Dim objFSO As Scripting.FileSystemObject
    Dim objFolder As Scripting.Folder
    Dim objFile As Scripting.File
    Dim strName As String

    'Specify the file to look for...
    strName = "*." & strFileType
    Set objFSO = New Scripting.FileSystemObject
    Set objFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(strPath)

    For Each objFile In objFolder.Files
    If objFile.Name Like strName Then
    rngDestination.Value = objFile.Path
    rngDestination.Offset(0, 1).Value = objFile.DateLastAccessed
    Set rngDestination = rngDestination.Offset(1, 0)
    End If
    Next 'objFile
    Set objFile = Nothing

    'Call recursive function
    If blnSubDirectories = True Then _
    DoTheSubFolders objFolder.SubFolders, rngDestination, strName

    Set objFSO = Nothing
    Set objFolder = Nothing
    End Sub

    Function DoTheSubFolders(ByRef objFolders As Scripting.Folders, _
    ByRef rng As Range, ByRef strTitle As String)
    Dim scrFolder As Scripting.Folder
    Dim scrFile As Scripting.File
    Dim lngCnt As Long

    On Error GoTo ErrorHandler
    For Each scrFolder In objFolders
    For Each scrFile In scrFolder.Files
    If scrFile.Name Like strTitle Then
    rng.Value = scrFile.Path
    rng.Offset(0, 1).Value = scrFile.DateLastAccessed
    Set rng = rng.Offset(1, 0)
    End If
    Next 'scrFile

    'If there are more sub folders then go back and run function again.
    If scrFolder.SubFolders.Count > 0 Then
    DoTheSubFolders scrFolder.SubFolders, rng, strTitle
    End If
    ErrorHandler:
    Next 'scrFolder

    Set scrFile = Nothing
    Set scrFolder = Nothing
    End Function
    '-------------------

    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  3. #3
    BOONER
    Guest

    RE: Find New File/Folder

    Cool,

    Although it took me a while to achieve my goal; your help definately made it
    all possible.

    Thanks!