autoFill column equal to adjacent column

  1. #1

    autoFill column equal to adjacent column

    I have a macro that takes a 9 digit number from one cell and converts it into a zipcode + 4 number.

    If the number is in A1 I set focus on B1 and =left(a1,5), then in C1 I put the dash, (-) in d1 =right(A1,4) then I concatentate the 3 cells in E1, and then autofill the columns down to the last row with the 9 digit number.

    My problem is that the incoming sheets can have rows fro 100 to 10,000 so in the Macro I have to set the autofill command to 10,005 to make sure I fill the sheet far enough. Of course, when I have a sheet of 100, I have to go back and delete all the dashes that filled to row 10,005.

    Is there a way to autofill the inserted columns to the same row as the original column with the 9 digits in it???

    Thanks

    Paul

  2. #2
    crazybass2
    Guest

    RE: autoFill column equal to adjacent column

    Paul,

    Try this in your module...

    Option Explicit
    Dim cell As Range
    Sub stripzip()
    For Each cell In Range("A:A")
    If Len(cell) = 9 And IsNumeric(cell) Then
    Cells(cell.Row, 2) = Left(cell.Value, 5) 'Could Delete
    Cells(cell.Row, 3) = "-" 'Could Delete
    Cells(cell.Row, 4) = Right(cell.Value, 4) 'Could Delete
    Cells(cell.Row, 5) = Left(cell.Value, 5) & "-" & Right(cell.Value, 4)
    End If
    Next cell
    End Sub

    This will do exactly as you specified. IMHO you can cut out the
    intermediate steps (Marked with 'Could Delete) and save some run time.

    Mike

  3. #3
    Thanks much

  4. #4

    Number to Zip+4

    Hi Paul,

    In a new sheet assuming you take a list of numbers over and locate them in Column A:

    Sub zipa()
    Range("A1", Range("A1").End(xlDown)).Copy Range("C1")
    Range("C1", Range("C1").End(xlDown)).NumberFormat = "00000-0000"
    End Sub

    Art678

  5. #5
    Appreciate the help