Quite a complicated problem

  1. #1
    DaBeef
    Guest

    Quite a complicated problem

    Hopefully someone can help me with this.

    I've written a program in C++ which reads spreadsheets in csv / tab delim /
    slk format and performs reporting tasks on them as specifed through report
    maps. It has become quite a powerful tool, but I'm missing some functionality
    which my manager would like included. For the most recent map, I've had to
    process a list of over 200 suppliers and generate sales and purchase
    summaries, leaving me with about 5 spreadsheet files for each. My manager
    would like to have these reports run on a monthly basis, the sheets combined
    into one workbook for each supplier and have graphs on each sheet. I know
    this can be automated, but I have practically no knowledge of vba and haven't
    got a wide enough time scale to learn it.

    The problem could be solved as follows (see further down if the next two
    paragraphs seem over complicated):
    Keep a folder with a separate xls file for each supplier, already filled in
    with tables and graphs. This would mean that the script could just replace
    the values in the tables, and the graphs would be automatically updated. This
    would be perfect for all but one sheet. The final sheet would need to be
    replaced in it's entirety by another sheet.

    I need a way of automating this process so it can be run on a list of
    suppliers (which would match the file names of the files to be editted). It
    would need to increment through each value in the list, read the newly
    created file of that name (perhaps appended with a phrase like " Sales
    Summary", then overwrite the relevant cells in the master workbook's
    worksheets and replace the last full page.

    For clarity, my program could generate the following output (named as xls
    files but actually slk):

    3M Purchases and Sales Summary.xls
    3M Purchases by Trade Term.xls
    3M Sales Summary.xls
    3M Sales by Branch.xls
    3M Top 50 Sales Products.xls

    The master file could be called 3M.xls with the following worksheets:

    Purchases and Sales Summary
    Purchases by Trade Term
    Sales Summary
    Sales by Branch
    Top 50 Sales Products

    Four of the sheets would need to have specific cells replaced from the
    relevant new files. These would be done through direct cell references which
    I will happily define in the script, so I imagine this would be fairly easy.
    For example, the script might say to take cell B3 from the source sheet and
    overwrite cell A3 in the master sheet. I could then simply duplicate this for
    all the cells that need to be replaced. The other sheet (Purchases by Trade
    Term) needs to be replaced by the worksheet contained in 3M Purchases by
    Trade Term.

    I would need the script to be able to either cycle through a list of file
    names, or perhaps through all the files in the master file folder and repeat
    this task for each, updating "3M" with each new supplier name on each pass.

    I know this is way beyond the scope of help and advice on a forum, but there
    seem to be several vba geniuses around here, so I'm hoping someone can help.
    If you can help me with any part of this problem, it would be much
    appreciated.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor tony h's Avatar
    England: London and Lincolnshire
    Posts
    1,187
    I tend to agree with you it is "way beyond help and advice" and all though it is straightforward enough to do - after all the accumulated years of wisdom and heartache. It does make me wonder at what point should we stop giving our skills for free and say fair question but you are going to have to pay for it.

    I am sure I am not the only contributor whose primary focus in life is to sell their skills.

    I may shoot myself in the foot and look at it later.

    cheers

  3. #3
    RB Smissaert
    Guest

    Re: Quite a complicated problem

    I am sure it is all fairly simple, but it is better to break it down in the
    smallest possible tasks you are having a problem with.
    If you are really pushed for time and know little about VBA you could put
    it up on RentACoder.

    RBS

  4. #4
    DaBeef
    Guest

    Re: Quite a complicated problem

    You're quite right and I'm going to solve the problem myself. I've ordered a
    book on vba and macros in excel and will have to learn that before finishing
    this project. Thanks for your response.
    Keith

  5. #5
    Valued Forum Contributor tony h's Avatar
    England: London and Lincolnshire
    Posts
    1,187
    In trying to give you an answer the biggest problem is a lack of definition.

    Your proposal of having a proforma workbook preformatted with graphs is a good one - something I use regularly. Although I am not sure why you would need one for each supplier. Logic suggests one generic ne for all suppliers and then customize it on the fly.

    so ...

    for each supplier
    copy proforma workbook to supplier_name.xls
    open suppliername.xls

    update supplier data

    update tables etc
    next

    The tables should be easy enough but might (depending on how you do it) need the data ranges on the graphs changing.

    I don't understand why "the last sheet would need replacing in its entirity" this seems like a bad idea resulting from a lack of imagination. But it might be the right thing to do.

    regards

  6. #6
    DaBeef
    Guest

    Re: Quite a complicated problem

    The reason for the last sheet needing to be replaced is that it doesn't
    contain any graphs and the number and size of the tables can change each
    month, so it's much easier just to overwrite it. With the other pages, the
    tables would be standard and graphs would be required, so it is better to
    overwrite individual cells. The reason I need a separate master file for each
    supplier is that people want to be able to add information to the spreadsheet
    outside of the tables, such as rebate information and various other discounts.
    And this information needs to be kept intact throughout the year. If the
    table was regenerated from a single template, this information would be lost,
    besides which, as I'm forced to keep a separate book for each supplier, it's
    more sensible to just use each supplier's work book and overwrite the
    necessary cells.

    Thanks for your feedback, it's much appreciated.

    Keith