Open Files Macro

  1. #1
    JZ
    Guest

    Open Files Macro

    I am trying to write a macro that will open all the files sequentially in a
    folder. For example, I have a folder with 30 files, and I want them to be
    opened one after another. However, I do not want the specific filename to be
    designated in the macro. Rather, I would like something that will simply
    open the next file in the folder so that I can run the macro for multiple
    folders. Does anyone have any suggestions?

  2. #2
    RB Smissaert
    Guest

    Re: Open Files Macro

    Use this general purpose function that will put all the files in a folder
    (and optionally all the subfolders) in an array.
    By looping through the array you can open all the files.

    Option Explicit
    Private Const lSheetRows As Long = 65536

    Function RecursiveFindFiles(strPath As String, _
    strSearch As String, _
    Optional bSubFolders As Boolean = True, _
    Optional bSheet As Boolean = False, _
    Optional lFileCount As Long = 0, _
    Optional lDirCount As Long = 0) As Variant

    'adapted from the MS example:
    'http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;185476
    '---------------------------------------------------------------
    'will list all the files in the supplied folder and it's
    'subfolders that fit the strSearch criteria
    'lFileCount and lDirCount will always have to start as 0
    '---------------------------------------------------------------

    Dim strFileName As String 'Walking strFileName variable.
    Dim strDirName As String 'SubDirectory Name.
    Dim arrDirNames() As String 'Buffer for directory name entries.
    Dim nDir As Long 'Number of directories in this strPath.
    Dim i As Long 'For-loop counter.
    Dim n As Long
    Dim arrFiles
    Static strStartDirName As String
    Static strpathOld As String

    On Error GoTo sysFileERR

    If lFileCount = 0 Then
    Static collFiles As Collection
    Set collFiles = New Collection
    Application.Cursor = xlWait
    End If

    If Right$(strPath, 1) <> "\" Then
    strPath = strPath & "\"
    End If

    If lFileCount = 0 And lDirCount = 0 Then
    strStartDirName = strPath
    End If

    'search for subdirectories
    '-------------------------
    nDir = 0

    ReDim arrDirNames(nDir)

    strDirName = Dir(strPath, _
    vbDirectory Or _
    vbHidden Or _
    vbArchive Or _
    vbReadOnly Or _
    vbSystem) 'Even if hidden, and so on.

    Do While Len(strDirName) > 0
    'ignore the current and encompassing directories
    '-----------------------------------------------
    If (strDirName <> ".") And (strDirName <> "..") Then
    'check for directory with bitwise comparison
    '-------------------------------------------
    If GetAttr(strPath & strDirName) And vbDirectory Then
    arrDirNames(nDir) = strDirName
    lDirCount = lDirCount + 1
    nDir = nDir + 1
    DoEvents
    ReDim Preserve arrDirNames(nDir)
    End If 'directories.
    sysFileERRCont1:
    End If
    strDirName = Dir() 'Get next subdirectory

    DoEvents
    Loop

    'Search through this directory
    '-----------------------------
    strFileName = Dir(strPath & strSearch, _
    vbNormal Or _
    vbHidden Or _
    vbSystem Or _
    vbReadOnly Or _
    vbArchive)

    While Len(strFileName) <> 0

    'dump file in sheet
    '------------------
    If bSheet Then
    If lFileCount < lSheetRows Then
    Cells(lFileCount + 1, 1) = strPath & strFileName

    lFileCount = lFileCount + 1

    collFiles.Add strPath & strFileName

    If strPath <> strpathOld Then
    Application.StatusBar = " " & lFileCount & _
    " " & strSearch & " files found. " & _
    "Now searching " & strPath
    End If

    strpathOld = strPath

    strFileName = Dir() 'Get next file

    DoEvents
    Wend

    If bSubFolders Then
    'If there are sub-directories..
    '------------------------------
    If nDir > 0 Then
    'Recursively walk into them
    '--------------------------
    For i = 0 To nDir - 1
    RecursiveFindFiles strPath & arrDirNames(i) & "\", _
    strSearch, _
    bSubFolders, _
    bSheet, _
    lFileCount, _
    lDirCount

    DoEvents
    Next
    End If 'If nDir > 0

    'only bare main folder left, so get out
    '--------------------------------------
    If strPath & arrDirNames(i) = strStartDirName Then
    ReDim arrFiles(1 To lFileCount) As String
    For n = 1 To lFileCount
    arrFiles(n) = collFiles(n)
    Next
    RecursiveFindFiles = arrFiles
    Application.Cursor = xlDefault
    Application.StatusBar = False
    End If

    Else 'If bSubFolders
    ReDim arrFiles(1 To lFileCount) As String
    For n = 1 To lFileCount
    arrFiles(n) = collFiles(n)
    Next
    RecursiveFindFiles = arrFiles