[SOLVED] If its a date, then...

  1. #1
    Darin Kramer
    Guest

    [SOLVED] If its a date, then...

    HI Guys,

    I need a formulae that says if cell a1 is a date, then put a Y, if not,
    then put what is currently in a1....

    Any ideas...?

    Thanks..

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor tony h's Avatar
    England: London and Lincolnshire
    Posts
    1,187
    Unfortunately this is not straightforward.

    isdate(range) will return a true or false depending on whether the cell contents look like a date.

    But remember a date in excel is only a format applied to a number. so from the data it is not possible to distinguish between a date and a number. There is a further confusion possible in that you can have text that looks like a date but is not a number.

    hope this helps

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor VBA Noob's Avatar
    London, England
    MS-Off Ver
    xl03 & xl 07(Jan 09)
    Posts
    11,988
    This formula checks to see if cell fomatted as d-mmm-yy or dd-mmm-yy

    See cell help for more examples.

    it will still show "Y" if it looks like a date e.g '17/06/07 will still return "Y"

    =IF(CELL("format",A4)="D1","Y","")

    VBA Noob

  4. #4
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: If its a date, then...

    As Tony explained, it depends on what you consider a date.
    If you are happy to allow VBA to decide:
    Public Function IsValueDate(argRange As Range) As Boolean
    Dim tempDate As Date
    On Error Resume Next
    tempDate = argRange.Value
    IsValueDate = (Err.Number = 0)
    End Function

    But you will see that this will produce some expected result.

    NickHK

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5

    Re: If its a date, then...

    But there are other date formats.

    maybe...

    =IF(LEFT(CELL("format",A4),1)="D","Y","n")

    And I think I'd check for a number, too. I can type text in a cell that's
    formatted as a date.

    =IF(AND(ISNUMBER(A4),LEFT(CELL("format",A4),1)="D"),"Y","n")

    And to the OP, be aware that if you change the format of A4 (to General, say),
    then the formula won't evaluate until the next recalculation.

  6. #6
    Darin Kramer
    Guest

    Re: If its a date, then...

    Hi there,

    Cant seem to get your formulae to work, what does the "D1"
    represent....?

    Kind regards

    DArin

  7. #7

    Re: If its a date, then...

    Excel's help is not always bad <vbg>:

    If the Microsoft Excel format is CELL returns
    m/d/yy or m/d/yy h:mm or mm/dd/yy "D4"
    d-mmm-yy or dd-mmm-yy "D1"
    d-mmm or dd-mmm "D2"
    mmm-yy "D3"