combo box to activate functions in another cell. mayday,mayday,may

  1. #1
    pogo
    Guest

    combo box to activate functions in another cell. mayday,mayday,may

    please someone, i have been learning excel and working on this for months and
    months. i am so frustrated.!!!!! My problem is this. in my excel sheet, i
    have cell af16 control many different functions depending on what a person
    would type into cell af16. people cant spell right(including myself) so
    therefore i am trying to use a combo box from the control toolbar. I have
    tried the forms combo box and data validation and the font is too small and
    it doesnt look right. My idea is to choose from a list that i created in
    cells au822:au846( example of list =m,inl,hol,office etc) each of these words
    when placed into cell af16 activates functions which control the calculations
    on the rest of the sheet. I have created the combol box and the list comes up
    beautifully(list fill), and the cell linked is af16 which DOES take the word
    from the drop down list and populates cell af16 with that word. The problem
    is thats all it does I cant get the word to activate the functions as if I
    were to actually type the word into af16( which makes it work). I know its
    code and am stuck, if someone can help with this code I will dedicate so much
    time to learning excel and then return the help on this forum.

  2. #2
    pogo
    Guest

    RE: combo box to activate functions in another cell. mayday,mayday,may

  3. #3
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: combo box to activate functions in another cell. mayday,mayday,may

    The comb box has a _Click which fires when you select one the values on the
    list.
    You can run code from that event.

    NickHK

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    pogo
    Guest

    Re: combo box to activate functions in another cell. mayday,mayday

    is the click in the upper right hand drop down menu in the section that you
    would view code, and im new at this what kind of code do i enter and how,
    sorry so new but learning every day

  5. #5
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: combo box to activate functions in another cell. mayday,mayday

    Yes, kind of....
    Make sure the code window of the worksheet you want is open.
    Click the drop down at the top left and select you combo box.
    You will get the default event inserted for you, which _Change, I think.
    So now click the top right drop down and select Click.

  6. #6
    pogo
    Guest

    Re: combo box to activate functions in another cell. mayday,mayday

    ok then after I do whatbyou said would I then have to enter any new code or
    is that it?

  7. #7
    pogo
    Guest

    Re: combo box to activate functions in another cell. mayday,mayday

    Ok this is what the code says, i just copied and pasted it into this reply so
    that you could see it. I then exited the design mode and selected a text from
    the combo box. the text then went into cell af16( which i have it linked to
    cell af16 from the properties section of the combo box) yet it did not
    activate the formulas that I have which are linked to cell af16. If I were to
    actually type the text into cell af16, that text then starts formulas
    dependent on what text is in cell af16 and controls the rest of the sheet,
    but the text will go into cell af16 when I use the combo box, yet it will not
    activate the formulas that are dependent on cell af16 here is what I copied:

    Private Sub ComboBox1_Change()

    End Sub

    Private Sub ComboBox1_Click()

    End Sub

    Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()

    End Sub

  8. #8
    Die_Another_Day
    Guest

    Re: combo box to activate functions in another cell. mayday,mayday

    Why not just use validation?
    Select AF16
    Goto Data...
    Validation...
    Allow:= List
    Source:= m,inl,hol,office,etc
    HTH

    Die_Another_Day

  9. #9
    pogo
    Guest

    Re: combo box to activate functions in another cell. mayday,mayday

    because whenever I try data validation or the regular forms control the font
    shows up way to small for the people who use the form to read it. I am open
    to anyway that I can create a list for people to be able to choose and then
    have that choice populate another cell which then by that population starts
    the process of further functions and calculations that are already formulated
    into the sheet. My whole problen is that when people try to type the words
    into a cell they can never get it right therfore they have to ask me for the
    solution, well the solution is that they need to spell holiday correctly,(
    including myself) but that wont work so I have to make it easier for them to
    choose the correct word.
    Thanks for answering and helping

  10. #10
    Die_Another_Day
    Guest

    Re: combo box to activate functions in another cell. mayday,mayday

    Is there a reason you can't increase the cell/Font size?

    D_A_D

  11. #11
    pogo
    Guest

    Re: combo box to activate functions in another cell. mayday,mayday

    in the data validation and the regular forms toolbar the microsft excel font
    is not cheangeable within the drop down lists. the font will populate the
    field as the right size font but the drop down list font is similiar to like
    a size 3,4,or 5 size font.

  12. #12
    pogo
    Guest

    Re: combo box to activate functions in another cell. mayday,mayday

    Im totally lost this is the last thing that I need to do in order to finish
    this form. I'll keep trying as much as I know , not much unfortunately, but
    any help with this last problem of mine would save me some hair left on the
    top of my head
    Thanks for the responses and trying on this one