Is it possible?

  1. #1
    TimN
    Guest

    Is it possible?

    I have a workbook where the first worksheet (Sheet1) is kind of a template.
    The user enters data there and some calculations occur and determine how many
    hours should be coded for an employee for sick time, vacation, holiday and
    short term disability etc.

    What I am trying to have happen is:
    User enters data on Sheet1 and hours are calculated on that same sheet.
    A copy of that sheet is made and is named Payroll Period 1.
    Sheet1 is cleared and ready for next week.
    Next week the process repeats itself.
    The tricky part is all those Payroll Period 1, Payroll Period 2 etc. sheets
    stack up at the bottom of the workbook. I want to have a summary worksheet
    that adds them up by week.
    I know how to link together the formulas, but if I do before the worksheet
    has been created, it References out in the formula on the Summary sheet, and
    doesn't correct itself once the worksheet is created.
    I tried creating all the Payroll Period sheets up front (max of 13) and link
    them to eliminate this error. However, then the copy of Sheet1 needs to go
    to an already existing worksheet rather than a new copy being made.
    Anyone follow any of this?
    Any ideas???

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: Is it possible?

    for a select few worksheet functions, you can have 3D range references. Sum
    is one of these. You could put in two permanent blank sheets. Name one
    First and one Last. Put all your Payroll Period sheets and only those sheets
    between the first and last sheets (in the tab order). Then in you summary
    sheet, use formulas like
    =Sum(First:Last!$B$2:$B$8)

    when you place more sheets between first and last, they will be included in
    the sum

    Tom Ogilvy

  3. #3
    Les
    Guest

    RE: Is it possible?

    An easy trick is to add two new blank worksheets, call them Payroll_Start and
    Payroll_End. On your summary worksheet sum everything between the two new
    worksheets. When you copy from your template, place the copy before
    Payroll_End.

    Hope this helps,

    --
    Les Torchia-Wells

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy

  5. #5
    Les

  6. #6
    TimN
    Guest

    RE: Is it possible?

    Thanks, I will give that a try.

    One more question. I know this has to be an easy thing. When the new
    worksheet is created how do I write code to make the original sheet (Sheet1),
    not the newly created sheet, be the active worksheet at cell A1?

  7. #7
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: Is it possible?

    worksheets("Sheet1").copy Before:=worksheets("End")
    Activesheet.Name = "Payroll Period " & i
    worksheets(1).Activate
    worksheets(1).Range("A1").Select

    Tom Ogilvy

  8. #8
    TimN
    Guest

    RE: Is it possible?

    Tom,

    I get a complie error, Variable not defined and it highlightes the "i" in
    the code you provided. Below is my full set of code:

    Private Sub cmdOK_Click()
    'MsgBox to indicate "not yet approved" if STD Approved date box is skipped
    If IsDate(Me.TxtDateApprovedforSTD.Value) Then
    Worksheets("STD Calc").Range("C4").Value =
    CDate(Me.TxtDateApprovedforSTD.Value)
    Else
    Worksheets("STD Calc").Range("C4").Value = "Not Yet Approved"
    End If
    'creates a duplicate worksheet and new name given by user
    Do
    Dim nSheet As Worksheet
    Dim NameBox As String
    NameBox = Application.InputBox("Please type a name for the new worksheet",
    "Creating New Sheet", , , , , , 2)
    If NameBox = "" Or NameBox = "False" Then
    MsgBox "Please type a name for the new worksheet"
    End If
    Loop Until Not NameBox = "" Or NameBox = "False"
    Worksheets("STD Calc").Copy Before:=Worksheets("End")
    ActiveSheet.Name = "Payroll Period" & i
    Worksheet(1).Activate
    Worksheet(1).Range("a1").Select
    Unload Me
    End Sub

  9. #9
    TimN
    Guest

    RE: Is it possible?

    I got ity to work. Thanks for your help!

  10. #10
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: Is it possible?

    Glad you resolved it.
    I just put the i in to represent that you would be using sequential names.

    Sometimes people take these examples too literally. Like if someone asked

    "how do I travel down column A from row 1 to row 10?"

    someone might answer

    Dim cell as Range
    for each cell in Range("A1:A10")
    msgbox cell.Address
    Next

    putting in the msgbox just to illustrate what the variable cell is and how
    to reference it since the question included no other functionality.

    All to often, the OP will come back and say

    "I don't want to show a msgbox. How do I get rid of the msgbox? "

    Tom Ogilvy