Macro Error Message

  1. #1
    Karen
    Guest

    Macro Error Message

    I posted this message a few weeks ago. I wasn't sure if I added a reply to
    the old message if it would get "buried." So, I started a new one.

    I recorded a macro over one year ago for a workbook that consists of many
    worksheets. I have to edit the macro - I went to Tools > Macro > Macros >
    Edit and I get the following error message. "Cannot edit a macro on a hidden
    workbook. Unhide the workbook using the Unhide command." This workbook is
    not hidden. What else could be happening and how do you fix this problem?

    Finny suggested:
    Try hiding it.
    Then unhiding it.
    That's all I've got right now.

    SyrNO said:
    Is it possible that you saved the macros in a module in Personal.xls? It is
    typically a "hidden" workbook, but because it's open, the macros are always
    available.

    I went to the file properties and checked the hidden attribute and then
    unchecked it again and that didn't work. Is there another way to do this?

    How do I find out whether or not I saved the macros in a module in
    Personal.xls?
    HELP!

  2. #2
    Jim Jackson
    Guest

    RE: Macro Error Message

    Did you try clicking on "Window/UnHide"? If you did save it to
    "personal.xls" it will be listed in the box that opens.
    --
    Best wishes,

    Jim

  3. #3
    John
    Guest

    Re: Macro Error Message

    Try Alt+F11 to open the VBE ("code editor") and have a look at the project
    tree on the left hand side. You should be able to double-click each node in
    the tree (unless its protected) to reveal the code behind. I assume most
    will be empty, but you might find it that way.

    Hope that helps

    Best regards

    John

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: Macro Error Message

    Using Alt+F11 is the way to go. However, in Tools=>Macro=>macros, if the
    macro is in the activeworkbook, it will only show the macro name. If it is in
    another workbook (such as a hidden workbook), it will show the Workbook Name
    as well

    ex:

    Personal.xls!MyMacro

    Tom Ogilvy

  5. #5
    Karen
    Guest

    RE: Macro Error Message

    Thank you for your help - I just noticed that it was saved to "Personal.xls"
    Karen

  6. #6
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Macro Error Message

    Karen,
    By "Hidden", Excel is refering to the workbook's state inside Excel.
    This is not connected with the Hidden attribute you can set say throught
    Explorer>Right click>Properties.

    NickHK

    "Karen" <[email protected]> 级糶秎ン穝籇:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Karen
    Guest

    Re: Macro Error Message

    Thank you for your help - Each one was empty
    Karen

  8. #8
    Karen
    Guest

    RE: Macro Error Message

    Thank you for your help - I just noticed that I did save it to "personal.xls"
    I went to "Window/UnHide" and now my macro disappears.
    Karen

  9. #9
    Karen

  10. #10