show value but hide function

  1. #1

    show value but hide function

    Hi,

    I have a macro the works great and does a lot. Now I want some cells
    to show the results I got but hide the functions and calculations
    behind them. As of now if someone clicks on the cell they can see the
    formula that was used to get the result. I was them to only see the
    result and not be able to see (or change) the formula. Is there any
    way to do this?

    -Idan

  2. #2
    Harald Staff
    Guest

    Re: show value but hide function

    Hi Idan

    First go menu Format > Cells, Protection section. Choose Locked and also
    Hidden.

    Now protect the sheet with Tools > Protection > Protect worksheet.

    There are quite a few things a user can't do in a protected sheet, but this
    is the only way to protect your cell.

    HTH. Best woishes Harald

    <[email protected]> skrev i melding
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Hello

    There is a way indeed. You need to use the Tools/Protection/Protect sheet (or workbook) option. This will then prevent anyone changing anything.

    In order to hide the formulae you need to select the cell in question and under the Format/Cells/Protection select "hidden". This means that when you protect the worksheet the formula will be hidden. Even though it is invisible it can still be deleted so you shoudl also check the "locked" option next to the "hidden" option and then people will not be able to change anything either.

    By default, every cell is set up with "Locked" in a speadsheet so that when you activate protection nothing may be changed. If you need to allow input into certain cells by the user then you should select those cells and uncheck the "locked" option. Of course if you want someone to be able to enter in more cells than not then you can select the whole sheet, deselect "locked" for everything and then simply reselct "locked" for the few cells in question.

    Clear?

    Good luck

  4. #4

    Re: show value but hide function