Schedule a Macro

  1. #1
    macroplay
    Guest

    Schedule a Macro

    Can the windows task scheduler be setup to open an excel workbook and run a
    specific macro. I know I could use auto_open but I've found this problematic
    since there is no way to stop the auto_open code from running so if there's a
    bug it's impossible to fix (pressing shift while opening the file doesn;t
    work).

    thanks

  2. #2
    Rob Bovey
    Guest

    Re: Schedule a Macro

    "macroplay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can the windows task scheduler be setup to open an excel workbook and run
    > specific macro. I know I could use auto_open but I've found this
    > problematic
    > since there is no way to stop the auto_open code from running so if
    > there's a
    > bug it's impossible to fix (pressing shift while opening the file doesn;t
    > work).

    I've used Auto_Open macros for as long as they've been around, and
    holding down the Shift key while opening the workbook always stops them from
    running. Are you sure you aren't confusing this with the Workbook_Open
    event, which does not get stopped by the Shift key?

    --
    Rob Bovey, Excel MVP
    Application Professionals

    * Take your Excel development skills to the next level.
    * Professional Excel Development
    http://www.appspro.com/Books/Books.htm

  3. #3
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: Schedule a Macro

    > Workbook_Open event, which does not get stopped by the Shift
    > key?

    Indeed, holding down the SHIFT key does not stop Workbook_Open
    when you open the file from a folder window (double clicking).
    However, the SHIFT key does stop Workbook_Open when you open the
    file from the MRU list on the File menu.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Rob Bovey
    Guest

    Re: Schedule a Macro

    Hi Chip,

    Yeah, it works in the File/Open menu as well. I think I was
    confabulating this with trying to open an add-in without running the code.
    Been a long day.

    --
    Rob Bovey, Excel MVP
    Application Professionals
    http://www.appspro.com/

    * Take your Excel development skills to the next level.
    * Professional Excel Development
    http://www.appspro.com/Books/Books.htm

    news:Oz%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    macroplay
    Guest

    Re: Schedule a Macro

    Yes, thank you. The auto-open code does not get run by pressing shift when
    opening the file from the MRU list. Thanks,

    john

  6. #6
    Kim Greenlee
    Guest

    RE: Schedule a Macro

    You can use a script to launch Excel, I've written up my approach here:

    http://krgreenlee.blogspot.com/2006/...dows-task.html

    Kim Greenlee

    --
    digipede - Many legs make light work.