Quick question

  1. #1
    Dr Fleau
    Guest

    Quick question

    Hey y'alls, I'm new to to the ng, please be gentle.
    I created a few macros for some spreadsheets I use at work. I understand
    that all the macros are saved in a specific file, mine is called
    "Perso.xls", the french version of yours, I guess. For a few days now, when
    I open a blank Excel file, say to create a new one, it's isn't one called
    "New document" that opens, but "Perso.xls". Also, when I open a file the
    already has macros applied to it, "Perso.xls" opens right alongside the file
    I want to open. It has been doing this for 2 days, since I opened the editor
    to see the code. I don't remember touching anything, just open , look, and
    shut.

    It's a little annoying, please help.

    Thanx a bunch

    Dr Fleau

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: Quick question

    Perso.xls will open whenever excel is opened. Usually the file is marked as
    hidden, so it isn't visible to your. However, it sounds like you unhide it
    and saved it. If any file is opened (as visible) in Excel, then a generic
    Book1 file is not created - so that is also consistent with your description.
    To reverse this, with perso.xls as the activeworkbook, go to Window=>Hide
    and hide Perso.xls. Then record a macro and close excel (so perso.xls has
    changed). You should be prompted as to whether you want to save changes to
    Perso.xls. Say yes. Alternately, rather than record the dummy macro, don't
    close Excel, but go to the vbe, select perso.xls in the project explorer (to
    make it the active file) and then do File => Save Perso.xls in the vba. (it
    should say Save Perso.xls or you have the wrong file as the active project).

    another approach:

    move this file (Perso.xls) to a new location and give it a different name.

    then record a macro so a new perso.xls is created. Now open the old file
    (with its new name from the new location) and copy your macro across to
    perso.xls (in the VBE, just do copy and paste of the text in the modules).

    Tom Ogilvy

  3. #3
    Peter T
    Guest

    Re: Quick question

    Macros (VBA code) can go in any workbook, but Personal.xls (Perso.xls in
    French ?) is a convenient place to put macros you always want available.

    This file should exist in your startup folder so it loads each time. After
    editing code close all its module windows and collapse the 'tree' against
    it's name in the top left panel. Assuming of course you actually opened the
    VBE and edited your macros there. In Excel ensure it is hidden, If it isn't
    make it active and hide it - on the main menu bar Window > Hide.

    When you close Excel accept the prompt to save Personal.xls

    Regards,
    Peter T

  4. #4
    Peter T

  5. #5
    Dr Fleau
    Guest

    Re: Quick question

    Thank you very much Tom and Peter for your quick and very effective answers.

    May Allah bless your camels with numerous humps.

    Dr Fleau