freezing data in a cell which was obtained using a formula

  1. #1
    Joe
    Guest

    freezing data in a cell which was obtained using a formula

    I am using Excel as a form. Upon initial opening of form, I am generating a
    Random interger that once generated, I would like to freeze on that excel
    sheet
    as a tracking # in a cell. My problem is that Excel keep recalculating that
    cell each
    and every time the spread sheet opens. Is there any way to freeze date in
    cell after a formula calculate the initial number?
    The excel sheet will be saved individually using that Random interger. This
    is to track the Excel sheet forms. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: freezing data in a cell which was obtained using a formula

    Place this code into ThisWorkbook (Right click the Excel icon beside File and
    select view code)

    Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    With Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1")
    If .Value = "" Then .Value = Round(Rnd() * 1000, 0)
    End With
    End Sub

    The code checks to see if there is a Value in Cell A1 on sheet1. If not then
    it puts in a random number. If there is a value then it does nothing.
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson