EXCEL functionality

  1. #1
    Dean
    Guest

    EXCEL functionality

    I seem to recall that there is some feature in EXCEL that will alert you to the fact that a cell's formula appears different from that of its neighbors. For example, if you copied a formula across a row and then, for testing purposes, overwrote one of the cells with a value, then forgot to change it back to the formula, it would alert you to that.

    Can anyone remind me of what that might be?

    Thanks!
    Dean

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: EXCEL functionality

    Try this:

    From the Excel main menu:
    Check: Enable background error checking
    Check: Inconsistent formula in region

    Does that help?
    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP

  3. #3
    Dean
    Guest

    Re: EXCEL functionality

    Yup, that does it!

    Actually, it does not seem as powerful as I'd hoped. If you have copied a
    formula across a row and accidentally replace one of the cells with its
    value, since a value is not a formula per se, it doesn't seem to object
    (actually, if I put =0, rather than just 0, it seems to object just fine).
    Does that seem right to you?

    Also, I think you have to have sheets unprotected for it to work.

    Still it's nice to have.

    One other question: Rather than have to look thru every cell for that green
    triangle marker, is there a way to see all such identified inconsistent
    cells somehow in a list or table?

    Thanks much!
    Dean

    news:[email protected]...