VLOOKUP and VBA

  1. #1
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    VLOOKUP and VBA

    I thought I posted this, but I can't find it now so it's possible it never
    was posted. If it's a duplicate, my apologies.

    I have the following equation that's not working and I'm not sure why

    CompanyID = Application.VLookup(Target, Range("Statics
    Query_from_MS_Access_Database"), 2, False)

    I get
    runtime error 1004.
    Method 'range' of object '_worksheet' failed

    I have a named range of Query ... on the Statics worksheet.

    Thanks,
    Barb Reinhardt

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP and VBA

    Barb,

    It is likely that your range name as entered in code does not match your actual named range's name:
    because of where it broke in the message, I suspect that you have a space in the name in your code,
    which is not allowed. Otherwise, the code should work fine.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    John
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP and VBA

    Hi Barb,

    Do you need the WorksheetFunction object in there?

    ie "Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(......"

    Best regards

    John

  4. #4
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP and VBA

    I'm not sure what I need. That's why I'm asking. Defining what I'd call a
    constant based on data in the workbook is new to me.

  5. #5

    Re: VLOOKUP and VBA

    You don't need the .worksheetfunction in your code.

    Can you get a formula similar to this working in excel?

    =vlookup("something",Statics_Query_from_MS_Access_Database, 2,false)

    (I like Bernie's suggestion.)

  6. #6
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP and VBA

    I figured out what I needed.

    CompanyID = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Target,
    Sheets("Statics").Range("Query_from_MS_Access_Database"), 2, False)

  7. #7
    John
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP and VBA

    Glad you're sorted. Apologies for the red herring!

    Have a good weekend

    John

  8. #8
    John
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP and VBA

    Hi Dave,

    I'm sure you're right, but what's the reason for .worksheetfunction not
    being needed? Is it a default somehow?

    Best regards

    John

    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP and VBA

    I needed to make a change so as to use a different target. This is what I have:

    CompanyID = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup("R" & Target.Row & "C" &
    (Target.Column + 1),
    Sheets("Statics").Range("Query_from_MS_Access_Database"), 2, False)

    basically, I want to do a lookup of the data that is one column to the right
    of the cell that is changed.

    I think my problem is that my first lookup argument is the location of the
    value to lookup, not what's being checked (R3C5, not "Company1"). I'd put
    in indirect, but this won't work. Suggestions?

    Barb Reinhardt

    Thanks,
    Barb

  10. #10

    Re: VLOOKUP and VBA

    ..worksheetfunction syntax was added in xl97 (IIRC).

    But Excel/VBA still supports lots of stuff from xl95 and before.

    But there is a difference in the way they behave.

    application.vlookup() will return an error that you can check:

    dim myVal as Variant 'could be an error
    myval = application.vlookup(....)
    if iserror(myval) then
    'same as #n/a
    else
    'found it
    end if

    On the other hand, application.worksheetfunction.vlookup() will cause a
    trappable error.

    Dim myVal as Variant 'or string or long or double ...

    on error resume next
    myval = application.worksheetfunction.vlookup(...)
    if error.number <> 0 then
    'same as #n/a
    else
    'found it
    end if
    on error goto 0

    ========
    I find the application.vlookup() easier to use.

  11. #11

    Re: VLOOKUP and VBA

    I'd use:

    Dim CompanyID as Variant 'could be error

    companyid = application.vlookup(target.offset(0,+1).value, _
    Sheets("Statics").Range("Query_from_MS_Access_Database"), 2, _
    False)

    if iserror(companyid) then
    'not found
    else
    'go it
    end if

    I dropped the .worksheetfunction portion.

  12. #12
    John
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP and VBA

    Perfect explanation. Thanks for your time Dave.