Cell Referencing Error.

  1. #1
    Mike
    Guest

    Cell Referencing Error.

    I have a spreadsheet that references cells on a main spreadsheet for all
    of its information. When I open this spreadsheet some of the cells do not
    update correctly and display a #N/A. All of the cell references have the
    same format so why do some update correctly and others do not? If I open the
    main (referenced)spreadsheet the dependent document updates correctly,
    immediately.
    I will need to correct this issue. I was thinking as a last resort I
    could have an automatic macro that opens and closes the source document
    invisibly just to ensure the cells update correctly but I am sure there is a
    better way to fix this problem (like fixing the cell references!). Any
    ideas?
    --
    Michael J. Nowak
    Energy Systems/Dow Chemical

  2. #2
    Tom Hutchins
    Guest

    RE: Cell Referencing Error.

    Are the references which do not update correctly contained in formulas with
    Excel functions? Some functions, such as COUNT and COUNTIF, do not work with
    closed workbooks. COUNT, COUNTA, or COUNTIF could be replaced with an
    equivalent SUMPRODUCT formula, which does work with closed workbooks.

    Hope this helps,

    Hutch

  3. #3
    Mike
    Guest

    RE: Cell Referencing Error.

    No, all of the references are the same and they do not contain functions.
    The cells of the "output" document reference selected cells on a "source"
    document. The source document is a full list while the output document
    contains selections from the full source document. There are short
    paragraphs in the source document cells that I want to show up on the output
    documents. It is relatively straight forward this cell equals that cell. I
    am curious what sorts of problems cause the #na error? Could it be a
    difference in the formatting of the cells of both documents that causes the
    problem?