Is it possible to create a editable textbox?

  1. #1

    Question Is it possible to create a editable textbox?

    Hello!

    I want to create a editable textbox in a UserForm like a MS WORD that the user can edit the text (font, color, size, align...). This text will be show in a label or textbox in other UserForm in a programmable time if no user interference.

    PS: this programmable time is already soon.

    Thanks!
    VBA - Visual Basic Amazing

  2. #2
    Joerg
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to create a editable textbox?

    "Tim Armstrong" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > *
    > Hello!
    >
    > I want to create a editable textbox in a UserForm like a MS WORD that
    > the user can edit the text (font, color, size, align...). This text
    > will be show in a label or textbox in other UserForm in a programmable
    > time if no user interference.

    1) textboxes are editable by default, i.e. the text can be "edited" by the
    user
    2) What you mean is "formatting". Here it's all or nothing: The user can
    change font, font-size, color etc. only for the whole textbox, not for parts
    of it. You will have to provide a user interface for making these changes.

    Joerg

  3. #3
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to create a editable textbox?

    Tim,
    Use a Rich Text Box if you need different font/size etc in the single box.

    NickHK

    "Tim Armstrong" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Unhappy

    Thanks guys!

    But, how can I do this?

  5. #5
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to create a editable textbox?

    Tim,
    In the VBA Toolbox you should have an icon with horizontal blue lines and an
    "A" in the bottom right hand corner. Add that control to your user form.

    NickHK

    "Tim Armstrong" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6

    Unhappy

    NickHK,

    Thanks for the help!

    Sorry, but I don't found this "tool".
    I´m using Excel 2000.

  7. #7
    Joerg
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to create a editable textbox?

    "Tim Armstrong" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > *
    > Thanks guys!
    >
    > But, how can I do this?

    So am I. Excel doesn't provide a RichTextBox control.
    Joerg

  8. #8
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to create a editable textbox?

    Joerg,
    Yes it does. See my previous post.

    NickHK

    "Joerg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Tim Armstrong"

    <[email protected]>

  9. #9
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to create a editable textbox?

    Tim,
    If it is not visible (although I thought it was included by default), right
    click on the Toolbox and select "Additional Controls...". Scroll down the
    list to "Microsoft Rich Textbox control and check the box on the left. Now
    you will have this control in the toolbox.

    NickHK

    "Tim Armstrong" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  10. #10
    Gary Keramidas
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to create a editable textbox?

    do you need to add a reference, too?

    --

    Gary

    news:[email protected]...

  11. #11
    Joerg
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to create a editable textbox?

    Well, there is a "Microsoft Rich Text Box Control 6.0 (SP4)" in the list,
    but trying to put it on the sheet produces a "cannot insert object". If I
    try to add it to the toolbox of the Macro Editor, the icon appears, but when
    I try to put it onto a form I get "The subject is not trusted for the
    specified action". As far as I can see this control came with an external
    add-on and does not belong to the original Excel2003. Maybe you refer to a
    different control. What's its name?

    Joerg

  12. #12
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to create a editable textbox?

    Joerg,
    OK, on my machine, I have VB6 installed as well, so my "Microsoft Rich Text
    Box Control 6.0 (SP6)" is may be installed from that.
    I also have a Chinese W2K with Office 2K + SP3 and that has a rich text box
    available.
    But another English W2K with Office 2K (no SPs) does not have the control
    available (although installing SP3 no makes no difference).

    So, now I'm not sure on this as availability seems to be "may be".

    The control is available for download from
    http://www.xerocreative.com/index.ph...d&sub=runtimes, although if
    this is legal or not I couldn't say, but it is marked as redistributable in
    VB6.

  13. #13
    Joerg
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to create a editable textbox?

    I think the bottomline is: Control may or may not be available and may or
    may not work (BTW: do your controls work with Excel?). So it's probably not
    a solution for Excel applications to be distributed to other persons.
    Joerg

  14. #14
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to create a editable textbox?

    Joerg,
    The 2 systems that have the control, it functions as expected.
    There's to stop you using one of the (free) available installation package
    to install/register it if it's not present.
    Assuming the control is freely distributable.

  15. #15
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to create a editable textbox?

    As you are using XL2003, this probably applies:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=838010

    The suggested work around is to wrap the rich text box in a user control.
    You have VB6 available for this ?
    If not, I'm sure someone has done it already. If not, let me know and I'll
    see about writing one.

  16. #16
    NickHK,

    I´m using Excel 2000 with no SP(x)...

    Is it possible to create a solution?

    THANKS A LOT NickHK again!!

  17. #17
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to create a editable textbox?

    Tim,
    You can download and register the control from the link in my earlier post,
    but as there seems so many versions of this control, with various wrappers
    and also the Office.Forms instead of "normal" VB 5/6 controls, not to
    mention the various restrictions that seems to apply, I have no idea.
    All I can say is that the controls works fine on most of the systems I have
    available, but I do not know the reason when/if it is installed.

    NickHK

    "Tim Armstrong" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  18. #18
    NickHK,

    Thanks a lot.
    I'll try this...

  19. #19
    Harald Staff
    Guest

    Re: Is it possible to create a editable textbox?

    Hi Nick

    If you have VB6 or some other Visual Studio installed, then you are allowed
    to use this and that control in designtime, you're a programmer. VB6 code is
    compiled, so your VB6 apps can be deployed to other users pretty easy, the
    controls will run in runtime only on their systems (the "redistribulable"
    part). But VBA is not compiled, the users can open their VB editor and
    reprogram the userforms el al. Lots of controls refuse to work in that
    design time environment without a design time license. So having the control
    is one thing, having them properly registered is another, but they may still
    refuse to work.

    It is confusing, it has a name (dll hell) and it will never be easy or
    predictable.

    HTH.Best wishes Harald

    "NickHK" <[email protected]> skrev i melding
    news:%[email protected]...