Problem with cell references in my macro

  1. #1
    Still Learning
    Guest

    Problem with cell references in my macro

    This is a small problem I'm just giving it a very detailed explanation

    Here's what I have:
    I'm working on a macro that I will need to use every month. The data is
    always in the same format/nomenclature but I want to filter out some data
    that I don't need in my analysis. Each piece of data is on a seperate row
    and I want to filter it by column "A." Like lets say some rows in column A
    say "duck" some say "goose" and some say "dog." When I get the data the rows
    are all mixed up like this:

    A B
    duck blah blah blah other data in other cells
    duck blah blah blah other data in other cells
    goose blah blah blah other data in other cells
    duck blah blah blah other data in other cells
    dog blah blah blah other data in other cells

    Here's what I need to do:
    In one step of my macro I want to be able to sort or filter the data and
    copy and paste for instance just the rows starting with "duck" into another
    sheet.

    Here's my problem:
    When I try to record a macro that does this I've tried using autofilters and
    when I press ctrl down it records in the macro what cell it references
    (instead of just always referring to where the data ends, after I've filtered
    to just show the data I want to copy and paste).

    If this doesn't make sense drop a note and I'll explain better

  2. #2

    Re: Problem with cell references in my macro

    You may want to look at the way Ron de Bruin and Debra Dalgleish approached it:

    Ron de Bruin's EasyFilter addin:
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm

    Code from Debra Dalgleish's site:

    Create New Sheets from Filtered List -- uses an Advanced Filter to create
    separate sheet of orders for each sales rep visible in a filtered list; macro
    automates the filter. AdvFilterRepFiltered.xls 35 kb

    Update Sheets from Master -- uses an Advanced Filter to send data from
    Master sheet to individual worksheets -- replaces old data with current.
    AdvFilterCity.xls 55 kb