Command bar

  1. #1
    Fisker
    Guest

    Command bar

    Hi,

    How do I hide or disable the "save" command in the "File" menu for a
    workbook, so I ensure that changes will not be saved in the "template".
    --
    Fisker

  2. #2
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Command bar

    Fisker,
    Why not make your file a real XL template, by File>SaveAs>Change Save as
    type to "Template".
    Then when it opened, you actually open a copy of this file, not the actual
    file. So a Save actually brings up the SaveAs dialog, as the file has no
    ..Path.

    NickHK

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Fisker
    Guest

    Re: Command bar

    Thanks for your answer - I am aware of this possibility, but if I save the
    xl template on a network drive, it is still possible to save changes in the
    original file. 1-2 years ago I found the solution how to hide or manage the
    options on the "File" menu, but unfortunately I have forgot how to do it now.
    --
    Fisker

  4. #4
    MaC
    Guest

    Re: Command bar

    If you've got your own menu or toolbar, then just you can disable Excel main
    menu bar like this:

    Application.CommandBars("Worksheet Menu Bar").Enabled=FALSE

    To switch it on again use:

    Application.CommandBars("Worksheet Menu Bar").Enabled=TRUE

    HTH
    MarioC

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Command bar

    If that's the concern, XL cannot save you as anyone can just save on top of
    the file.
    Use Windows permission, to only allow Read-Only access to everyone.

  6. #6
    skatonni via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Command bar

    There is a lot of informaton here
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830502/en-us

    Sub FileMenu_Save_Disable()
    Dim myCmd As Object
    Set myCmd = CommandBars("Worksheet menu bar").Controls("File")
    myCmd.Controls("Save").Enabled = False
    End Sub