formatting pivot table report (borders automatically showing)...

  1. #1
    Perplexed
    Guest

    formatting pivot table report (borders automatically showing)...

    Hi!

    If I use the Autoformat option and select "None," this gets me what I want -
    so that I have no borders displaying and I can format everything on my own.

    Just one major problem with that - using the Autoformat option (even with
    "None" selected - the column widths automatically widen and screw up my
    format.

    Then, then when you turn off the Autoformat option - one would think you
    would be all set, but now you run into the problem of the pivot table
    automatically putting borders into the report upon a refresh or filtering the
    report. I cannot even possibly fathom Microsoft's reasoning behind doing
    this. Even if I never get this solved - I would love for someone to provide
    some kind of explanation ;o)

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Rick

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: formatting pivot table report (borders automatically showing)...

    The following will preserve your column widths:

    In an used part of the worksheet, type a letter in a cell, and type a
    number in the cell below.
    Select either cell, and choose Format>AutoFormat
    Click the Options button, and remove the check mark from Width/Height
    Select the None AutoFormat (last in the list), and click OK
    Select a cell in the pivot table, and press the F4 key, to repeat the
    formatting (or choose Edit>Repeat AutoFormat)

    You can clear the number and letter table created in step 1.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Contextures

  3. #3
    Perplexed
    Guest

    Re: formatting pivot table report (borders automatically showing).

    Dear Debra!

    You Rock!!! :o) I spoke with several people about this issue and no one had
    any idea how to get around it. Also, in my research I found screenshots of
    the Autoformat dialog box that included the options button, and I was
    wondering why on earth that button was no longer available. Little did I know
    that it was a separate dialog box outside of the pivot table, and even if I
    had known - I would not have thought of the approach that you came up with.

    That solution is way out of the box thinking, and I VERY MUCH appreciate
    that!! I cannot thank you enough for your time and sharing your expertise :o)

    Rick

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: formatting pivot table report (borders automatically showing).

    Hi Rick,

    You're welcome! It's certainly not a documented feature, but one that I
    found while experimenting with AutoFormat. Probably I was trying to
    figure out why that Options button wasn't available while formatting a
    pivot table.

    Debra

  5. #5
    Milwaukee, WI
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Re: formatting pivot table report (borders automatically showing)...

    if you want to format the pivot table and keep it from reformating when you refresh,it is pretty simple once you know its there.

    Right click on the pivot table
    Got to Pivot Table Options
    Uncheck
    Autofit Column Widths on update
    AND
    Preserve Cell Formatting on update

    this should shut down excels default re-formatting