Golf Scoring with a Challenge - UDF

  1. #1
    Kieranz
    Guest

    Golf Scoring with a Challenge - UDF

    Hi all
    I am trying to create a UDF (user defined function) that will enable me
    to sum the golf score for the nine holes BUT with a difference. The
    cells for the the nine holes whilst expecting numeric, will also allow
    entry of just the following letters; d for DQ (disqualified), n for NR
    (no return) and r for Rtd (retired). The UDF therefore must check each
    of the 9 hole score and if in any one, there is a letter (say d) then
    the total column must read DQ otherwise to sum the score of 9 holes.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    PS using XP with XL2003.
    Rgds

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Golf Scoring with a Challenge - UDF

    Function GolfScore(a As Range)
    Dim i As Long
    For i = 1 To a.Cells.Count
    If a(i) = "d" Then
    GolfScore = "DQ"
    Exit Function
    End If
    If a(i) = "n" Then
    GolfScore = "NR"
    Exit Function
    End If
    If a(i) = "r" Then
    GolfScore = "Rtd"
    Exit Function
    End If
    GolfScore = GolfScore + a(i)
    Next i

    End Function

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten
    Microsoft MVP - Excel

  3. #3
    Kieranz
    Guest

    Re: Golf Scoring with a Challenge - UDF

    Hi Niek
    Many thks, will try out.
    Rgds

  4. #4
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Golf Scoring with a Challenge - UDF

    Here's another way:

    Public Function GolfScore(argRange As Range) As Variant
    Dim Temp As Variant
    Const NumberHolesRequired As Long = 9

    If argRange.Rows.Count <> NumberHolesRequired Then
    GolfScore = CVErr(xlErrNum)
    Exit Function
    End If

    If (Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf(argRange, ">=0")) =
    NumberHolesRequired Then
    GolfScore = Application.Sum(argRange)
    Else
    GolfScore = "DQ"