Plotting more than 32000 points on a chart

  1. #1
    inquirer
    Guest

    Plotting more than 32000 points on a chart

    Further to an earlier post, I have about 59000 data points that I want
    to plot on an line chart. The points for the x axis are sorted in
    ascending order.
    I can plot the first 32000 points ok as Series 1 but how can I then plot
    points from 32001 on so they plot on the end of series 1? I have treid
    defining series 2 as 32001 onwards but these points do not plot on the
    end of series 1, rather they start again at the origin.
    Any help much appreciated
    Thanks
    Chris

  2. #2
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Plotting more than 32000 points on a chart

    Is there any visible difference from plotting say every other value instead
    of all 59000 points ?

    NickHK

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    inquirer

    NickHK wrote:
    > Is there any visible difference from plotting say every other value instead
    > of all 59000 points ?
    >
    > NickHK
    >
    > "inquirer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Further to an earlier post, I have about 59000 data points that I want
    >> to plot on an line chart. The points for the x axis are sorted in
    >> ascending order.
    >> I can plot the first 32000 points ok as Series 1 but how can I then plot
    >> points from 32001 on so they plot on the end of series 1? I have treid
    >> defining series 2 as 32001 onwards but these points do not plot on the
    >> end of series 1, rather they start again at the origin.
    >> Any help much appreciated
    >> Thanks
    >> Chris

    Thanks for your reply Nick.
    No, I have just been looking at that and seems as tho that is what I
    will have to do.
    To do this, will I have to extract every second point to another column
    and then define that as the series or is there another smart way of
    defining the series to take every second point?

  4. #4
    inquirer

  5. #5
    inquirer

  6. #6
    Tim Williams
    Guest

    Re: Plotting more than 32000 points on a chart

    Use a scatter plot and adjust the series style to add lines.

    Tim

  7. #7
    inquirer

    Tim Williams wrote:
    > Use a scatter plot and adjust the series style to add lines.
    >
    > Tim
    >
    > "inquirer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Further to an earlier post, I have about 59000 data points that I want to
    >> plot on an line chart. The points for the x axis are sorted in ascending
    >> order.
    >> I can plot the first 32000 points ok as Series 1 but how can I then plot
    >> points from 32001 on so they plot on the end of series 1? I have treid
    >> defining series 2 as 32001 onwards but these points do not plot on the end
    >> of series 1, rather they start again at the origin.
    >> Any help much appreciated
    >> Thanks
    >> Chris

    Tim I have tried that and the 32000 limit still applies.

  8. #8
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Plotting more than 32000 points on a chart

    You can the fact that the chart will only use visible data in its plot so if
    you have a Sequence column, you can apply a filter of "=MOD(A8,2)=0)" to get
    every other row.
    For that matter, you could maybe get away with every 10th row for a faster
    display. Depends on your data and requirements.
    Not sure how your situation would work, where you have too many points to
    start with.

  9. #9
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Plotting more than 32000 points on a chart

    Hi,

    Here is a way without using a helper column.
    http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgr...ers/index.html

    Cheers
    Andy

    inquirer wrote:
    > NickHK wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any visible difference from plotting say every other value
    >> instead
    >> of all 59000 points ?
    >>
    >> NickHK
    >>
    >> "inquirer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >>> Further to an earlier post, I have about 59000 data points that I want
    >>> to plot on an line chart. The points for the x axis are sorted in
    >>> ascending order.
    >>> I can plot the first 32000 points ok as Series 1 but how can I then plot
    >>> points from 32001 on so they plot on the end of series 1? I have treid
    >>> defining series 2 as 32001 onwards but these points do not plot on the
    >>> end of series 1, rather they start again at the origin.
    >>> Any help much appreciated
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Chris

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  10. #10
    Peter T
    Guest

    Re: Plotting more than 32000 points on a chart

    If you don't mind a pair of helper columns try this -

    Sample XY data:
    A2=0 B2=0
    A3=1 B3=B2+0.1

    Select A2:B3 and drag the little handle down to say 10002

    F1=100 ' every n'th plot

    helper columns:
    C2 =OFFSET($A$2,(ROW(C2)-ROW($A$2))*$F$1,0)
    D2 =OFFSET($B$2,(ROW(D2)-ROW($B$2))*$F$1,0)

    Copy C2:D2 down to say 1002+, enough for every 10th point (later you'll need
    more for your 59k)

    With F1=100 then D103 & below will = 0, doesn't matter how many of these but
    maintain at least as many as will ever be needed.

    Define these names, Ctr-F3
    Name: CatX
    =OFFSET($C$2,0,0,COUNTA($B$2:$B$65535)/$F$1+1,1)

    Name: Ser1
    =OFFSET($D$2,0,0,COUNTA($B$2:$B$65535)/$F$1+1,1)

    Make a chart:
    Select a couple of cells containing numbers surrounded by blanks
    With the chart wizard choose say Line without markers and go straight to
    Finish

    Select the dummy two point series
    In the Edit bar replace the formula

    =SERIES(,MyBook.xls!CatX,MyBook.xls!Ser1,1)

    You may need to bracket 'MyBook.xls' with apostrophes if any non-standard
    characters exist in the xls name (eg space).

    Hopefully your Series is now as anticipated.

    Change the value in F1 to suit. How much you can increase it (every n'th)
    might depend on how spiky your chart is.

    Regards,
    Peter T

  11. #11
    Tim Williams
    Guest

    Re: Plotting more than 32000 points on a chart

    .... but you *can* use >1 series

    Tim

    --
    Tim Williams