if-than statements in excel

  1. #1

    if-than statements in excel

    I have 2 sheets with a list of 4-digit numbers. What I need a function
    to do is basically "IF A:A=sheet2(all) than replace with 'match' "

    I've tried several different variations but can't seem to get it to do
    what I want!

    I don't want it to touch items that don't match. I need those to stay
    what they currently are.

  2. #2

    Re: if-than statements in excel

    I think I'm understanding you in that you want to know which numbers in
    column A on sheet1 have a matching number in column A on sheet2?

    If so, try the vlookup formula along with the If and Isna statements.
    Look it up in Help, but here's a simple example of what I describe.

    In Sheet1, cell B1, enter the following formula:

    =If(isna(vlookup(A1, Sheet2!A:A,1,false)),"","Match"))

    Then, copy that formula down in column B to the bottom of the data in
    column A.

  3. #3

    Re: if-than statements in excel

    Basically, I'm looking to make excel automatically do a find-replace.
    I could go through one sheet, do a find, and replace on each number in
    column A by hand, but I figured there would be an easier more fail-safe
    way to have excel automatically do what I'm doing by hand.

    The end result is to find out what numbers are left over after
    replacing all duplicate numbers.