Closed Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

where does PERSONAL.XLS go

  1. #1
    PCOR
    Guest

    where does PERSONAL.XLS go

    Where should the file PERSONAL.xls-which contains the macros- be located to
    ensure that it is started every time Excel is fired up
    Thanks

    --
    Norton Professional 2004 says this email is clean...believe it

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: where does PERSONAL.XLS go

    In the XLStart directory, C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\XLStart
    on my machine.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ian Macfarlane
    Guest

    Re: where does PERSONAL.XLS go

    I do not have that folder
    c:\program files\microsoft\office\excel\xlstart

    I am using Office 2003
    I do have the following folders...and both of them contain my
    PERSONAL.XLS

    c:\program files\microsoft office\office10\excel\xlstart
    c:\program files\microsoft office\office\excel11\xlstart

    The actual EXCEL.EXE file is located at:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE
    Appreciate any help you can provide\Thanks

  4. #4

    Re: where does PERSONAL.XLS go

    Depending on your version of windows, version of excel and upgrade path, excel
    should be able to find it in a few spots.

    But I like to keep mine in the spot that excel likes the best.

    I'd open excel
    hit alt-f11 to get to the VBE
    hit ctrl-g to see the immediate window
    type this and hit enter:
    ?application.StartupPath

    For me (xl2002 and win98), I get:
    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART
    (You won't match this.)

    But then I find my "real" personal.xls and move it there and delete all the
    other copies.

  5. #5
    pcor
    Guest

    Re: where does PERSONAL.XLS go

    That was a great help....BUT
    I did as you suggested and the answer was
    C:\Documents and Settings\Computer\Application
    Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART
    The trouble is that PERSONAL.XLS IS there

    Any further help would be appreciated

  6. #6

    Re: where does PERSONAL.XLS go

    Are you saying that your personal.xls doesn't load?

    If you've cleaned up all other copies, and the personal.xls doesn't load (when
    it's where it should be), maybe excel disabled it.

    Xl2002 added a feature to protect itself if it thought a workbook was damaged.

    Help|about Microsoft Excel
    click on the disabled items button and see if personal.xls is there.

    If the file is really corrupted, you may have to delete that version and restore
    from a backup.

  7. #7
    pcor
    Guest

    Re: where does PERSONAL.XLS go

    Hi Dave
    Now you are talking.
    All is well when I ENABLED personal.xls\
    My most sincere thanks
    I have learned a lot and am very thankfull
    Ian

  8. #8
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: where does PERSONAL.XLS go

    Ahhhh! Thank you Dave. (Sound of hand hitting forehead). I lost my
    Personal.xls shortly after installing xl2003. I've never had it since. I
    was not aware of feature either. Thanks a million. :>)

    I was experimenting about the "Bug" (I mean Feature...) of Solver right
    after I installed xl2003. If you have a vba library reference to Solver in
    Personal.xls, and then have Personal.xls hidden (normally it's hidden), then
    the whole thing crashes. I lost my ability to use Personal.xls since then,
    and never found a way to get it back. I thought I tried everything.

    So, thanks a million for solving that mystery.

    --
    Dana DeLouis
    Win XP & Office 2003

    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9

    Re: where does PERSONAL.XLS go

    Mine went away soon after I installed xl2002.

    I searched through the registry to fix it. (That was pretty ugly!)

  10. #10

    re: Where does personal.xls go

    hi,

    Just found this thread by searching from Google.

    Despite being a couple of years old now, solved my problem in 10 seconds.

    Thank you!

  11. #11
    Sunnyvale, CA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

    Re: where does PERSONAL.XLS go

    I want to thank Dave for providing a great way to find my lost personal.xls
    Just love google!

Closed Thread