Hello Everyone,

I build a lot of sheets that work as Report building programs that I can copy over into Excel templates. Okay, so I originally ran into this issue as was posted on Google Sheet forum last week:

Hi,

Someone whom I work with has suddenly run into an issue that when he tries to copy from a google sheet to an excel spreadsheet any column that does not have data is left out, ending up with an asynchronous transfer. An example being if columns A through G are copied but columns B and C are empty the data transfer would be columns: A,D,E,F,G.

The very strange thing is that I can't replicate the problem on another computer, and it doesn't matter what browser or I used or saved template Excel file I use on the problematic computer, the same problem occurs. I also tried logging into two separate accounts and the problem persisted. I restarted the computer - nothing.

I temporarily solved the problem by including in copying the data a header row that had data in each column's cell.

Any thoughts? I'm flummoxed.

Regards,
Jeff

Google wasn't a ton of help.

Since then, I discovered it likely had nothing to do with Google Sheets, because I was able to replicate the problem exclusively using Excel. Which I thought may still have something to do with the one computer and an issue specific to it's installation - though reinstalling it did nothing.

Well, low and behold, it's now doing it on my own computer, so I'm thinking this has something to do with Excel's recent update (Office 365). Is anyone else running into this problem? Any ideas? It's such a pain. We've had to build "bridge" sheets that have the top row completely filled out so that row can be copied over with the data to retain the formatting. It's less then preferable, but maybe it's simply a feature that can be turned off?

Again - Flummoxed.

Thank you!

Regards,
Jeff