+ Reply to Thread

Dynamic Drop down lists via macros

MS-Off Ver
    office 365

Dynamic Drop down lists via macros

Hi,

I'm trying to sort some kind of dynamic data validation list. I have attached a sample spreadsheet to assist. Under the project tab i have a heading called client name, next to it is a drop down list of company names pulled from the customer database tab. Once a company has been selected i would like the contact name dropdown box to only have the names relevant from that company (see customer database for full information) I will then use VLOOKUP to auto populate the correct information.
    Finally in the delivery address i would like this to pull the two addresses on file (see customer database) in a drop down list to select one.

I've been advised i cannot do Dynamic data validation as i would have to re-arrange my data. (customer database has over 1000 lines of info) However macros can help. I have never used macros so be gentle, can you help?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Forum Moderator - RIP Richard Buttrey's Avatar
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365, Excel for Windows 2010 & Excel for Mac

Re: Dynamic Drop down lists via macros

Hi and welcome to the forum

What reasons have been given for not being able to us dynamic data validation?
    Have you checked Debra's web site for this subject where you'll learn all you ever need to know - and more on this subject. See here

In any case this is clearly a much simplified example and probably doesn't represent the size of your actual data. We often find that when we give an answer to what is a trivial non representative example when the solution is used with the real world data it doesn't work because of factors like string length and other stuff which is important but hasn't been mentioned.

You mention wanting to see many names when a customer/client name has been selected but your example data contains uniqe records for this field. Neither is it clear where there may be two addresses for a company and where you expect to see the data validation. And what would be the situation if there were three or more addresses

Therefore upload your real workbook (or at least a cut down copy), and manually add the results you expect to see. Clearly identify which is original data and which are the results and in a note clearly explain how you have arrived at your results. Be sure that it accurately reflects several occurrencies of the same name and addresses.
    Richard Buttrey

RIP - d. 06/10/2022

If any of the responses have helped then please consider rating them by clicking the small star icon below the post.

MS-Off Ver
    office 365

Hi thanks for your prompt reply.

I have uploaded the file with more detail, unfortunately i cannot give you our exact file for data protection. The spreadsheet is a like for like representation of the full version but just not with real content.

In order to do the dynamic data validation i was advised that i would have to change the layout of my customer database to make this work. However the full database has over a 1000 lines of customer contact information, re-working the layout would be a tedious job.

In a nutshell im trying to do the following:

The company name cell has a data validation drop down box. Once a company name has been selected the invoice address is added via VLOOKUP.
    The contact name cell should be also be a drop down data validation and should only provide results based on the company name entered in above.
    The example in the workbook is company EIC123. This should return 4 names in the contact name cell to enable the user to select one.
    The Phone number and email will also be pulled in via VLOOKUP.

From the original advice from excelchat online was that it couldn't be done from the front end excel but from the back end using macro. I'm not familiar with macro language and wouldnt know where to start with this.
    would you be able to assist me?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Forum Moderator - RIP Richard Buttrey's Avatar
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365, Excel for Windows 2010 & Excel for Mac

Did you look at the link to Debra's site that I gave you?
    It's quite possible you don't need a macro.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information