+ Reply to Thread

Dynamic link dependent on cell contents

Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 2016

Post Dynamic link dependent on cell contents

I don't know if this is possible, and I know exactly what I want to happen so:

I have a "Target Sheet" in my Office 365 for each student I tutor.
    Every 3 months I need to carry out a review on each learner on a worksheet "Progress Review", and want to pull data from their Target Sheet into the Progress Review.

Simple enough - open both sheets, type "=" in the cell of the destination sheet, click on source cell, hit return.

This is where I now fall down.

On the Progress Review I have a cell that I want to enter their name (as seen in the name of their Target Sheet), and I want this "name" to dynamically change in the link

So my process for creating a new Progress Review would be to open the blank version, type their name in A1 and the link in A2 changes from
    ='[Darryl Burge TS.xlsx]Learning Targets '!$C$14
    into
    ='[Darryl Burgeabcdef TS.xlsx]Learning Targets '!$C$14
    If I type Darryl Burgeabcdef into A1

I am wanting to be able to do this as I have a lot of random data I need to bring across, and rather than link every cell individually I want to set up every cell linked, and all I need to do is enter their name in A1 and ALL of the links are altered.

MS-Off Ver
    Office 2016

Re: Dynamic link dependent on cell contents

Hi there,

I think it's not really possible to offer a meaningful solution without sight of your workbook. You can insert dummy student names etc before posting it.

Regards,

Greg M

Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 2016

Re: Dynamic link dependent on cell contents

I have attached a segment of the Progress Review (PR), which is linked to the whole of the Target Sheet (TS)that is on our SharePoint / Office365 online area.

However, there is only a finite amount of data that I want to pull down from the TS onto the PR. Then, when the data is on the PR I am going to write formulaus to manipulate the data further to pre-fill boxes with data (which I am able to carry out).

However, what I was wondering was if there was a way of writing a formula where, in this case, "Darryl Burge" and "Curtis Ferrin" are manual entries in a cell (A1 and B1) so the following link:

prostarttraining.sharepoint.com/sites/DarrylBurgeAssessmentPortal/Shared Documents/Darryl Burge Live Portfolios/Curtis Ferrin/04. Targets and progress/[Curtis Ferrin TS.xlsx]Learning Targets '!B9

might be seen as:

prostarttraining.sharepoint.com/sites/$A$1AssessmentPortal/Shared Documents/$A$1 Live Portfolios/$B$1/04. Targets and progress/[$B$1 TS.xlsx]Learning Targets '!B9

this would mean that if I changed the contents of A1 and B1 to "James Bond" and "Ernst Stavro Blofeld" my new PR would be pointing to Ernst's TS in James Bonds work area.
    Attached Files Attached Files

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information