+ Reply to Thread

How can I use data validation to restrict specific combinations of numbers in a column?

MS-Off Ver
    2016 (work)

How can I use data validation to restrict specific combinations of numbers in a column?

I work in admin at one of my local hospital, due to COVID, all visits are on an appointment-only basis. We can't have more than one visitor per room per 24h. The gov considers dual beds rooms to be one room so only one visitor per 24h is allowed in dual bed rooms.

Because of staff permutation and high volume of calls, errors and duplicates are occurring, I am working on a table to mitigate the hassle.

Dual bed rooms use the same format than single bed ones. In a dual beds rooms, bed 1 and bed 2 are assigned two distinct rooms numbers.

I use this formula in a custom data validation rule to prevent duplicates (take note that I'm using french, it's the COUNTIF function):

=NB.SI(C:C,C6)=1

I now need to add a rule to prevent specific combinations of numbers in a column. ex: 1004 and 1006 in the same column would trigger an error message.

I wrote this formula (ET=AND NB.SI=COUNTIF):

=ET(NB.SI(C:C,1004)=1,NB.SI(C:C,1006)=1)

How do I combine them into a single data validation rule?

The goal is to create a foolproof work tool for bottom end employees and promote staff permutation.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ChuckJ; 03-25-2021 at 11:30 PM.

Digital Nomad... occasionally based in Ireland.
    MS-Off Ver
    O365 (PC) V 2403

Re: How can I use data validation to restrict specific combinations of numbers in a column

How about this:

set up a list of prohbited combinations (here in U1 and U2). Use this as conditional formattning:

IF(ISNA(MATCH($C6,$U$1:$U$2,0)),FALSE,SUM(COUNTIF($C$6:$C$94,$U$1:$U$2))>1)

If you add another room to the list (e.g. 1984), extend the bits in red (or we can get Excel to do that for you if they are liable to change regularly), then any combination 1004, 1006 and 1984 where >1 is present will trigger a red flag.

HOWEVER>>> I am not entirely sure that that is what you really want. We'll see...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Glenn

None of us get paid for helping you... we do this for fun. So DON'T FORGET to say "Thank You" to all who have freely given some of their time to help YOU.

Temporary addition of accented to illustrate ongoing problem to the TT: L? fh?ile P?draig sona dhaoibh

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    365 and rarely 2016

Re: How can I use data validation to restrict specific combinations of numbers in a column

I am not sure it is what you want. Can you clarify

in 24hrs is this time dependent, or is it one visitor per day? eg could I visit at 9pm one day and 10:30am the next? or is this less than 24hrs so not allowed.
    What happens if the patients change in the room, is it out of action for 24hrs so does not matter anyway?
    Do you have to stick to this format?

I am suspecting one visit per day and Glenn is close!, but you do have hours going down in column A

MS-Off Ver
    2016 (work)

Sorry if I was not clear enough, maybe it's the language barrier.

Davsth, it is one visitor per day, the hours on the left are only for scheduling appointments. If a patient leave a room there is a 24-48 hours, at least, gap to allow disinfection.

We have both single and double rooms in the wards, I need to prevent duplicate for every rooms and prevent the combination of double rooms numbers.
    Ideally, I'd like to use a custom data validation rule

Thank you Glenn, that would be a great way to do it using conditional formatting .

Digital Nomad... occasionally based in Ireland.
    MS-Off Ver
    O365 (PC) V 2403

You're welcome.

It would be very nice if you were to just click the Add Reputation button at the foot of any of the posts of members who helped you reach a solution.

Finally, if that takes care of your original question, please select "Thread Tools" from the menu link above and mark this thread as SOLVED.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information