+ Reply to Thread

Excel 365 - Compare several columns in a row with other columns in same row, display match

MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

Question Excel 365 - Compare several columns in a row with other columns in same row, display match

Hello,

New poster here, and I am a novice when it comes to Excel formulas. I'm hoping someone can assist me with what I think should be a fairly simple issue?

I run a report to get my raw data based on last month's activity.

I add a spacer column and then I open the final report from the month prior and paste it to the right of the column.

I need to compare the columns row by row until the rows remaining on the left, match the ones on the right.

I have been using a formula in the spacer column to display "MATCH" if the two sides of the row are a match, however every time I delete cells on the left side (and shift upward), my formula changes to #REF and I have to drag it down to get it to compare again.

I am dealing with hundreds of rows, so doing this drag down after every delete is very tedious. Surely there has got to be a better way.

Please see the attached simple spreadsheet with examples and expected result example.

Thank you!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MelAF; 06-08-2021 at 11:11 AM.

Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

Re: Excel 365 - Compare several columns in a row with other columns in same row, display m

Hello MelAF,

Usually for these types of issues it is a matter of formatting your data, that means, that if you change the way you design your tables, maybe you would not have this problem.

But a simple solution to your problem the way it is now, would be to use the offset formula. Put this in E39:

Formula: copy to clipboard
    Please Login or Register  to view this content.

The offset, use a specific cell as a reference, in this case E39 in all cases, and then look at columns in reference to it...

Hope that works!

MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

Re: Excel 365 - Compare several columns in a row with other columns in same row, display m

Thank you MrChulo, I did as you said and put that formula in E39, but it says there's a problem with the formula.

-EDIT- AHA! I replaced the semi-colons with commas and it worked perfectly. Thank you so much!
    Last edited by MelAF; 06-08-2021 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Edited to add that it worked

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information