+ Reply to Thread

Automation within File Explorer - Possible?

MS-Off Ver

Automation within File Explorer - Possible?

Good morning all

I have a long winded and repetitive task of receiving Excel files that need to be updated multiple times within various different folder locations. For the first filing, I expect to have to complete manually but as revisions of the documents are provided I find that the task takes many hours to complete and wondered if it were possible to automate these actions.

Each document has a specific file name, which relates to specific folders (hundreds of folders!). Initially I suggested having a master file and then shortcutting the file to the other folders, with the idea that when the master is updated all shortcuts would update also, however others in the business require the document to work with RevIt so a shortcut is not feasible.

My next suggestion was to automate via Excel VBA using ShellExecute to find and replace a file with a specific file name, not sure if this is a possibility or the most user friendly.

As this forum is full of such varied and extensive knowledge, I hoped there may be someone with a wonderful idea to help me automate this

Many thanks,
    Pezzaa

MS-Off Ver
    MS365 Family 64-bit

Re: Automation within File Explorer - Possible?

I think this is going to be straightforward but honestly I don't think you've actually said what you want to do.

Excel files that need to be updated
    What kind of update do you need to do?

Each document has a specific file name
    How are the documents named? Is there a convention so that a VBA program could find them all?

which relates to specific folders
    What do you mean by "relates"? Do you mean these files are in multiple folders, or the file name somehow reflects a folder?

find and replace a file with a specific file name
    How do you determine what the specific file name is? What do you mean by "find and replace"? Do you mean overwrite the file with a new copy?

Can you please give a more concrete description of where the files are, how they are named, the criteria for selecting them, what you want to do once you find them?
    Jeff
    | | |·| |·| |·| |·| | |:| | |·| |·|
    Read the rules
    Use code tags to [code]enclose your code![/code]

MS-Off Ver

Re: Automation within File Explorer - Possible?

What kind of update do you need to do?
    This part is completed by another department, they provide the component requirements for our standardised pump houses, the contents of the file isn't particularly relevant to the automation of the repetitive task, they will always have the same file name and any updates are minor changes

How are the documents named? Is there a convention so that a VBA program could find them all?
    The naming convention works on an amalgamation of the OH (Ordinary Hazard) rating, range from pump to sprinklers, type of ICV, e.g. OH1-15-W. There is a separate spreadsheet register of file names. They remain consistent regardless of updates, so could be found via VBA

What do you mean by "relates"? Do you mean these files are in multiple folders, or the file name somehow reflects a folder?
    Naming convention as above, the file name and the folder are the same

How do you determine what the specific file name is? What do you mean by "find and replace"? Do you mean overwrite the file with a new copy?
    Yes, overwriting with the revised copy. I have decent knowledge of VBA using commands within Excel, but very little experience of commands working outside of Excel so used an excel term - sorry

So the aim is to receive the updated versions, usually via a local file location within our server. We then need to cross reference the 'stage' the document is at, which is monitored via the filename register and a stage is indicated by colouring cells in line with the colour key. Once the document has been checked and the register updated with the next stage colour key, there is the choice to either repeat with all documents and then overwrite previous versions or to overwrite the version and then continue through the other documents. In terms of automation then updating all docs then overwriting would probably work best so that the documents can be overwritten all at once.

I think i've got a good understanding of what would need to be programmed in VBA, specifying the file name and it's folder location, using a command to confirm overwriting etc. The issue i'm up against is that my boss does not want to invest the time creating the code in order to save time in the long run, hence my coming here seeing if others knew of a more efficient way to complete this.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information