+ Reply to Thread

STOP changing numbers to Scientific!

MS-Off Ver

STOP changing numbers to Scientific!

At work, we receive CSV files via email.
    They open in Excel and sometimes we have to remove extra lines for them to upload to a app we use.
    One of the cells has a number … for example 1435673895
    When we remove the extra lines, like we always have, and save it that cell goes to scientific and changes the number to 1435600000.
    We have done everything to make it stop changing on its own.
    That number is a very important part of our upload to the app so it has to be correct. We tried saving as text but it reverts back.
    Does anyone know how to make this stop?!?
    Why it all of a sudden started doing this last week?
    I was on the phone with IT for quite a while today trying to get it to work.

Valued Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

Re: STOP changing numbers to Scientific!

Options could be
    - using power query instead of excel to prepare the data for upload
    - using VBA

Would help if you can share a sanitised example sheet, and explain step by step the workflow you go through
    Last edited by AliGW; 04-27-2022 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Link to competing forum removed - please see forum rule #10.
    <<< If you have valued anyone's contributions in this thread, please click * to thank them for their efforts

MS-Off Ver
    We can not make any changes to how the data is sent to us. It comes from other sources.
    I also can’t share an example because I can’t duplicate what is happening and I can’t share a copy of the actual sheet.
    My question is for those that have experienced this issue and how they resolved when you can not get any edits or changes to save.
    I heard this is an issue from awhile ago but by now there should be a fix. And why all of a sudden it’s doing this.
    If I could give an example that works, it would be a cell with a number that refuses to change from anything BUT a scientific format.
    I have coded and worked with google sheets for years and nothing like this ever happened. If I could get my company to change I would.
    Last edited by AliGW; 05-06-2022 at 10:05 AM. Reason: PLEASE don't quote unnecessarily!

Forum Guru
    MS-Off Ver
    2002/XP and 2007

I have never scene a scenario where Excel refuses to change number formats (unless someone has placed some severe cell protection on the cell/range). But text files cannot store formatting or protection information, so that seems unlikely. There are two scenarios I am aware of where Excel will display a number as scientific:

1) When the user formats the cell to a scientific number format.
    2) When the number is too wide to display in the cell and the cell is formatted as general. In this case, widening the column will usually cause Excel to revert to regular integer view.

I assume (1) is not the case here, which leaves us with scenario 2 -- the column is too narrow. My guess at what is happening is that during the text open/import step, Excel is not autofitting the column width, or something happens when you delete rows that makes this particular column narrow. When Excel exports to a text file, it will export the displayed value (1.4356E9), which will then be read downstream as 1435600000.

My first guess at a solution is to make sure the column is wide enough to display the numbers correctly. My second guess at a solution is to format this column as integer (which, if it is too narrow, might cause Excel to display #####, but I'm not certain if that will cause Excel to export ##### or the number underneath it (if it exports #####, you still end up widening the column).

Not sure that will help, but those are my guesses.
    Quote Originally Posted by shg
    Mathematics is the native language of the natural world. Just trying to become literate.

MS-Off Ver
    Unfortunately it’s not 1 or 2. It has nothing to do with the size of the column, it’s the cell being set to General and then when edited it changes itself to Scientific because it can’t handle a number with more than 11 digits. Our just started going into 12 digits and this is when this happened. You cannot edit it or do anything to correct the issue.
    Last edited by AliGW; 05-06-2022 at 10:04 AM. Reason: PLEASE don't quote unnecessarily!

Forum Guru
    MS-Off Ver
    2002/XP and 2007

You cannot edit it or do anything to correct the issue.
    If you can't upload a sample file, then I'm not sure how much help we can be at debugging this. I have never seen a case where it is impossible to display up to a 15 digit number using an appropriate number format. If General won't do it, I would expect something like Number -> integer (0 decimal places) would display the full number as a number. Even as scientific, it should be possible to change the number of displayed digits to at least 15 digits (the limit of double precision that Excel uses for displaying numbers).

Could the number be text? What does an ISTEXT() formula return on these cells?

MS-Off Ver
    I don’t know how to upload a sample on something that changes when you edit it.
    The number is fine with the CSV file gets to us. We open in excel and edit if we have to or it’s been edited before it gets to us then changes the cell by itself. If we do not need to edit it we can upload the file
    To our system without
    Last edited by AliGW; 05-06-2022 at 10:05 AM. Reason: PLEASE don't quote unnecessarily!

MS-Off Ver

For some reason it wouldn’t let me edit the above reply.

I was explaining that it works perfectly WITH the 12 digits of the file is not edited when uploads to our system.

It’s the edits, that are 90% of the time needed, that cause the issue.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information