+ Reply to Thread

How to dynamically update the range for an excel chart

MS-Off Ver

How to dynamically update the range for an excel chart

Hello,

I have a Pivot table tab called "Pivot" in which Col A and B are pivot table values coming from tab "Raw Data 1". Column C and D (in red) are not part of the pivot table and are manually added columns which are pulling the data from the tab "Raw Data 2" after vlookup with the pivot table columns (A and B). I have a chart which is built off of Col C and D (in red).

I have 2 questions:

1) How will my vlookup formulas in Col C and D drag down dynamically to match the pivot table values in Col A and B when there are more data added to raw data? Do i need to drag it all the way down to an arbitrary row which far enough or is there a formula which will keep adding the vlookups to match the last row of the pivot table?

2) How can i select a range for this graph which will automatically detect the first and last row for Col C and D as more data gets added to the raw data periodically. How will the chart range automatically adjust itself to include the new additions or subtractions in the raw data. I want my graph to always have a range starting from the first row to the last row of col C and D which will be until the pivot table range in Col A and B. This way i don't need to set a fixed range for the graph which might include 0's or blanks which i want to avoid.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver

Re: How to dynamically update the range for an excel chart

I suggest you convert all your lists into tables and source your data from them. Tables automatically adjust for new data. Let us know if you have questions
    Attached Files Attached Files

MS-Off Ver

Hi

The formulas got adjusted once i converted to tables. However, my chart range is not adjusting automatically. So basically if i initally have 10 rows and then add upto 100 rows in Col A and B, then Col C and D gets updated with the vlookup. However, my chart is only referencing the initial 10 rows and i have to manually pull it down to adjust to the new rows. How will the chart smartly adjust its data range?

Forum Guru
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2019

Similar to maniacb I suggest converting the ranges to tables.
    I also suggest doing the lookups in columns C:D of the table on the Raw Data 1 sheet and building a pivot table from that.
    The formula to populate column C is: =INDEX('Raw Data 2'!C$2:C$7,MATCH(B2,'Raw Data 2'!A$2:A$7,0))
    The formula to populate column D is: =SUMIFS('Raw Data 2'!B$2:B$7,'Raw Data 2'!A$2:A$7,B2,'Raw Data 2'!C$2:C$7,C2)
    Note that when a new row is added to the table on the Raw Data 1 sheet and the pivot table is refreshed, the pivot chart will display accordingly.
    Let us know if you have any questions.
    Consider taking the time to add to the reputation of everybody that has taken the time to respond to your query.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information