+ Reply to Thread

Creating filters and importing rows from other Excel file

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

Creating filters and importing rows from other Excel file

Hi all,

First of all, let me introduce myself. My name is Merijn, a 28 year old "Project consultant" from the Netherlands. My company usually helps businesses to set up their project environment, including processes and reports. Most of those reports use Excel, so I pretty much know my way around.. However, we do not have a lot of experience with VBA. In the past I've build a report with VBA elements for a customer, but it was with help of someone who took care of most of the programming. I only had to tweak it a bit here and there.

I just registered here because I'm trying to help a friend with an Excel / database issue. Not sure if the above title makes that much sense, so I'll try to explain it. Sorry for the elaborate story..

We have this export file (see the attachment for example) from a database, consisting of 10.000+ rows, which is used to create mailinglists for customers. However, some extra filters need to be applied, which unfortunately cannot be done in the database itself. My idea is to create a separate Excel file with the required filtering build in, using VBA.

1) First filter is for column E (MAIL_CODE): I would like the new file to open the database-file, search through column E and list all the options in a window, from which I can select the options I want to be applied in the filter. Note that for each row, multiple options are possible, they are separated by a space. Rows that apply to the selected filter, should be copied to a new sheet (in the new file), with the exception of those where filter 2 applies:

2) Second filter is on column J (GEENMAIL): pretty much the opposite as the first filter. Generate a list of all the options in a window again, where I can select the options I want to apply. Again, multiple options are possible on a single row. Rows that apply to the selected options should NOT be copied in the new sheet..

The headers of the database file should also be copied, and if possible it would be helpful if the "Auto-Filter" option can be activated after copying the rows to the worksheet. As there are some more actions required afterwards.

Hope this makes any sense to you guys and someone can help me out...
    Attached Files Attached Files

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003

Re: Creating filters and importing rows from other Excel file

..anyone an idea?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information