Calculating the Area of objects in Feet and Inches

  1. #1
    Sip8316
    Guest

    Calculating the Area of objects in Feet and Inches

    I am completing a project in which I need to take data collected on window
    sizes and calculate the total area. The data is in Feet and Inches. If
    possibe I want to be able to plug the data into excell and have it formated
    so it displays 2ft 6in but is still in data form.

    I have tried to do this by number formating like this #"ft" ?/12"in" but if
    I typed in 2 feet and 6 inches (2.6) I get 2ft7/12in in the cell. I realize
    why but I don't know how to format it in a way that excell will interpret it
    as 2ft6in. Any help would be great.

    After entering the height and width that way I want to calculate the area in
    one cell. From what I've seen the data has to be converted to decimal form
    to cacluate and then I would want the area to be put into feet and inces
    again. I don't know how to do this without using many multiple cells, one to
    convert it to decimal, another to multiply the area and another to put that
    back as square feet.

    Please Help

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Calculating the Area of objects in Feet and Inches

    Chip Pearson has some instructions on this at his website:

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/fractional.htm

  3. #3
    sip8316
    Guest

    RE: Calculating the Area of objects in Feet and Inches

    Thanks,
    That helped some, I changed how I did things now and now my only quesion
    is...is there a number formating opition that would let you type in a decimal
    form of feet and inches (like 2.06 for 2 feet 6 inches) and have it displayed
    as 2ft6in.
    As I said before the closest I've come is typing #"ft" ?/12"in" but then I
    get 2ft7/12in, not 6.

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Calculating the Area of objects in Feet and Inches

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 11:32:07 -0700, "Sip8316"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am completing a project in which I need to take data collected on window
    >sizes and calculate the total area. The data is in Feet and Inches. If
    >possibe I want to be able to plug the data into excell and have it formated
    >so it displays 2ft 6in but is still in data form.
    >
    >I have tried to do this by number formating like this #"ft" ?/12"in" but if
    >I typed in 2 feet and 6 inches (2.6) I get 2ft7/12in in the cell. I realize
    >why but I don't know how to format it in a way that excell will interpret it
    >as 2ft6in. Any help would be great.
    >
    >After entering the height and width that way I want to calculate the area in
    >one cell. From what I've seen the data has to be converted to decimal form
    >to cacluate and then I would want the area to be put into feet and inces
    >again. I don't know how to do this without using many multiple cells, one to
    >convert it to decimal, another to multiply the area and another to put that
    >back as square feet.
    >
    >Please Help

    If you enter your numbers as, for example, 2.06 for 2ft. 6in. you can do a
    custom format of:

    0"ft". 00" in."

    (Note the position of the decimal point, and the absence of a period after the
    ft)

    to have it show that way.

    To obtain area in sq. ft., you can use the formula:

    =(INT(A1)+MOD(A1,1)/12*100)*(INT(A2)+MOD(A2,1)/12*100)

    where

    A1: height
    A2: width

    And the result could be formatted as

    0.000" sq. ft."

    --ron

  5. #5
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Calculating the Area of objects in Feet and Inches

    See if this page of David McRitchie's helps:

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel....htm#carpentry

    --

    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    paul
    Guest

    Re: Calculating the Area of objects in Feet and Inches

    to show feet and inches as you would normally write them set your custom
    number format like this ##_"ft"_#0_??/??_"in".Of course you can write 2 ft 20
    5/8in,but i assume you will only write real measurements
    --
    paul
    remove nospam for email addy!

  7. #7
    sip8316
    Guest

    Re: Calculating the Area of objects in Feet and Inches

    Thanks Ron,

    that worked perfect. The Website from Ragdye helped too.

    Scott

  8. #8
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Calculating the Area of objects in Feet and Inches

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 10:10:20 -0700, "sip8316"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thanks Ron,
    >
    >that worked perfect. The Website from Ragdye helped too.
    >
    >Scott

    Good to hear. Thanks for the feedback.

    --ron

  9. #9
    Islamabad, Pakistan
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

    Re: Calculating the Area of objects in Feet and Inches

    Hi
    I have tried a custom formatting using one cell for feet and 2nd for inches as fallows:
    custom format A1 as #'
    custom format B1 as -# #/#''(Note use appostrophy comma two times)if u type 7.5 it will give u
    -7 1/2"
    Same as in C1 and D1

    Put formumla in E1 =(A1+B1/12)*(C1+D1/12)there u are try this and feel happy

  10. #10
    Chicago
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: Calculating the Area of objects in Feet and Inches

    SIP813

    The reason your answer comes out to 2 feet 7 inches is because 2.6 feet is closer to 7 inches. 2.5 feet is 2 feet 6 inches. In other words, the way you have input your formula is not wrong, its the decimals that you are using. below I have made a chart to further have you understand what i mean. If you use 2.5833 (close to 2.6) you will get 2 feet 7 inches at a round up.

    inches inches in decimals
    12 1
    11 0.9167
    10 0.8333