+ Reply to Thread

Basic Excel/VBA/Macro's tutorials (from the ground up)

MS-Off Ver
    Excel app

Basic Excel/VBA/Macro's tutorials (from the ground up)

Hi guys. I've looked through the sticky on available guides and i can't find anything like what i need. Half the links don't work and the other half are about specific portions of excel.

I'm a complete noob to excel and need a guide for excel. a guide to VBA and a guide to the code. All i'm doing atm is copying what other people have done but i want to know how to construct workbooks and userforms and code myself so i can sort myself out

Any useful "working" links would be greatly appreciated. If it matters i'm using excel 2003 version.

Thank you in advance.

MS-Off Ver
    MS Office 2000, 2003, 2007 & 2016 365

Re: Basic Excel/VBA/Macro's tutorials (from the ground up)

Good morning Ph0enix

First off, there's no shame in nicking other peoples' bits of code and pulling them apart to see how it works. It's probably the best way to learn, and to be honest, most of us here who know anything about VBA learnt it that way.

I would recommend this book : don't be put off by the scary sounding title. It starts at the beginning and has loads of hints and tips. The author is a well know MS Office author and has a knack of explaining things simply. I still have my well thumbed copy, and it is still relevant to Excel 13 which I use at the moment.

Another site I really like (and there are loads of great ones out there) is Chip Pearson's - again loads of examples, downloadiable example files and stuff.

Finally, set yourself a "project" at home or work (if you use Excel at work). Set it a bit beyond your level and work through it at your own pace. If you get stuck, post a single question here at a time, or google the particular subject and nick someone else's code (for learning, it's fine - just don't turn it into a saleable product and tell the world it's yours!).

Sometimes, VBA will get you down : there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth : you ponder for hours wondering why a piece of code doesn't work. And feel like leaping off the Tyne Bridge when you discover a stupid mistake.

And stick with it. Good luck.

HTH

DominicB

Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013

I started making up projects for myself. Anything and everything that crossed my mind and definitely anything that I did that was repeatitive. Some ended up being simple, easy ones (but I still definitely learned things along the way)...where as others ended up becoming month long projects (UGH)...especially after coworkers caught on that I knew how to do this stuff.

Almost all my code is borrowed from this forum or other web pages...I joke (uhhhh...but it's kind of the truth) that Google searches are what taught me VBA code (or at least what I know to date).

I just updated from 2003 to 2013 and oh my....if it is at all an option for you, please upgrade! It's a HUGE difference!

If you found this post to be helpful, or if it at least brought a smile to your face, please say "Thank You" by clicking Add Reputation. Thank you!

MS-Off Ver
    Excel app

Thank you for the references. Will definitely check them out. Got my project. Just gonna have to take it one step at a time. Think i'm gonna have to learn a bit before i post any more questions as my first couple have got no replies as yet but i'll get there.

Thanks again for the tips.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information