+ Reply to Thread

SUMIF If a Specific Month is Within Start and End Date Range

MS-Off Ver
    2019 16.0.13205.200000 64-bit

SUMIF If a Specific Month is Within Start and End Date Range

Hey, guys!

I'm trying to construct a relatively simple (or so I thought) formula that would evaluate each line and SUMIF for each calendar month based on category (that's easy) and if a given month is within a Start and End date for each line.

The formula works, BUT only if each line item's Start date is 1st of month. But I'd like non-first lines to be SUMIF'd as well. Please have a look at the attached example. In Row 189, the Start date is 12 March, and the formula does NOT include this row in SUMIF, but I need to include such items as well. If I change 12 March to 1 March - it works fine.

Any ideas on how to finish that (darn) formula?
    Thanks so much in advance!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Office 2019 16.0.13205.200000 64-bit

Valued Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    O365

Re: SUMIF If a Specific Month is Within Start and End Date Range

Right now, your formula checks to see if the dates in column B are before or on the first day of a given month this year, and if the dates in column C are on or after the last day of a given month this year. The formula is doing what it is supposed to. Changing the date to the first of the month in that row makes it meet the specified criteria.

Can you give an explanation of what exactly you want to SUM?

MS-Off Ver
    16.84 for Mac MS 365

I used this formula in I7 dragged down and right... =SUMPRODUCT($D$3:$D$214,($A$3:$A$214=$H7)*($B$3:$B$214<=I$5)*($C$3:$C$214>=I$5))
    BUT, it only works if you change Row 5 from "Jan" and "Feb" to 1/1/2019 and 2/1/2019 (respectively) and drag that across the row and you can format as "ddd" in custom.

EDIT, if you change the dates in row 5 to the end of those months (1/31/2019 and 2/28/2019) then drag that across you will catch those that you have noted in row 189 as being missed.
    Last edited by Sam Capricci; 04-17-2019 at 01:48 PM.
    Make contributors happy, click on the "* Add Reputation" as a way to say thank you.
    Sam Capricci

MS-Off Ver

Quote Originally Posted by Melvosh View Post
    Right now, your formula checks to see if the dates in column B are before or on the first day of a given month this year, and if the dates in column C are on or after the last day of a given month this year. The formula is doing what it is supposed to. Changing the date to the first of the month in that row makes it meet the specified criteria.

Can you give an explanation of what exactly you want to SUM?
    I need to adjust the formula (e.g. in I7) to work on cells that are not 1st of the month. For instance in Row 189, the Start date is 12 March - currently the formula does not include it, but I need it to. So my question is: how do I adjust I7 formula to include rows such as 189.

MS-Off Ver

Guys, any ideas on how to approach this? I can't believe nobody can do this here.

Again, just to simplify the question: how do I adjust the formula in I7 so it included rows where Start date isn't first of month (e.g. Row 189)?

I'd appreciate literally any pointers here! Thanks so much in advance!! :D

Retired in Ipswich, Suffolk, but grew up in Sawley, Derbyshire (England)
    MS-Off Ver
    MS 365 Subscription Insider Beta Channel v. 2404 (Windows 11 22H2 64-bit)

Administrative Note:

We don't expect you to bump threads more than once in 24 hours - it has been only ajust over 12 hours since you last posted. Please remember that those who help here do so voluntarily and of their own goodwill. They live in many different time zones and many will be out at work right now if they are not asleep on the other side of the globe. This is not a paid 'service': members will help when they are ready and able to do so, and not 'on demand'. Please do not try to put pressure of time on anyone here: if you get the help you need today, that's fine, but you really should not count on it. Thanks for your understanding and patience.
    Ali

Enthusiastic self-taught user of MS Excel who's always learning!
    Don't forget to say "thank you" in your thread to anyone who has offered you help.
    You can reward them by clicking on * Add Reputation below their user name on the left, if you wish.

Forum Rules (updated August 2023): please read them here.

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    2010, 2019

@splendidus - I don't see any response to post #3 above. Can you explain what, if anything, is wrong with Sam's proposed solution (other than I think he meant "mmm" for the custom format rather than "ddd")?

MS-Off Ver
    16.84 for Mac MS 365

other than I think he meant "mmm" for the custom format rather than "ddd"
    Yes, that is what I meant, how did you read my mind?

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    2010, 2019

Thanks for the rep for my mind reading skills

MS-Off Ver

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffW283 View Post
    @splendidus - I don't see any response to post #3 above. Can you explain what, if anything, is wrong with Sam's proposed solution (other than I think he meant "mmm" for the custom format rather than "ddd")?
    My apologies, for some reason I thought I replied to that, but I did not. Here's why it doesn't quite work for me:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambo kid View Post
    BUT, it only works if you change Row 5 from "Jan" and "Feb" to 1/1/2019 and 2/1/2019 (respectively) and drag that across the row and you can format as "ddd" in custom.
    The table I'm working with is for work, and due to reporting reasons the format's fixed, meaning I can't really change it much so I have to work with what I have :/ Unless I'm missing something and I don't have to change the dates format.

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    2010, 2019

due to reporting reasons the format's fixed
    With the suggested changes to row-5, visually there would be no change. Row-5 would still look like Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr etc, even though the underlying date values were different. So if "visually identical" is sufficient for your boss then Sam's solution should work for you (with "ddd" changed to "mmm" of course).

MS-Off Ver

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffW283 View Post
    With the suggested changes to row-5, visually there would be no change. Row-5 would still look like Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr etc, even though the underlying date values were different. So if "visually identical" is sufficient for your boss then Sam's solution should work for you (with "ddd" changed to "mmm" of course).
    That's the thing, visually identical won't cut it in my case. Basically, I get a file off a reporting cube in the system that outputs in a very specific, pre-defined format - which I'm not allowed to touch due to variety of internal (=company) reasons, un-VERY-fortunately. So I'm forced to find solutions that would work WITHOUT changing the underlying data structure in any way. Sucks to be me, I know, but that's how corporate life is some(all the?)times...

Overall, I feel that I'm pretty close to a solution now: the formula in I7 works for everything, other than Start dates different than 1st of the month - that's what I can't crack.

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    2010, 2019

First I just want to check that I am counting correctly. In the following diagram the grey bars are the start and end dates and col-A is my assumption for which need to be counted for the month of February.

counting.png

If so then I think the following slight tweak to your formula works (changes highlighted in red). No other changes to the worksheet are needed. In I7 copied down and across:
    Formula: copy to clipboard
    Please Login or Register  to view this content.

I've tested as best I can but please verify carefully!
    Last edited by GeoffW283; 04-19-2019 at 05:29 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information