+ Reply to Thread

DropDown Error Message

MS-Off Ver

DropDown Error Message

Good Afternoon !!

Original Question.JPG

I would like to know if there is a way to combine these two without the use of a VBA as my office has it blocked. I would like to be able to create a dropdown that gives me the same error message as the open text does. This way when I select "No" from the dropdown, I will receive such error message. Please see attached file and thank you in advance. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!!

Thank You!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    2010, 2019

Re: DropDown Error Message

In the validation list for B5, can't you just change the (named range) yesno to (a value of) yes? While in the data validation dialog, you can define a popup message via the "Error alert" tab.

MS-Off Ver

I dont think im following, sorry. You mean to just change the defined name to "yes"? I'm not all that versed in excel as of yet but the given name on the data validation doesnt make a difference, does it? i tried changing the defined name to yes. no change. So i guess what im trying to do is exctly what you pointed out but im not sure how to add two rules on the data validation without using VBAs

Thank You again for your assistance.

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    2010, 2019

It may be me misunderstanding you, but what I have done is to implement what I was suggesting in post #2 in the attached mod to your workbook.
    So now if you click in B5 the dropdown only gives you a choice of "yes". If you type "no" in B5 then you will get a popup message saying "You must complete the task".

See the attached workbook and let me know whether it works as you intend it.

MS-Off Ver

I understand, it took me a while to understand. Would there be a way of incorporating both, "Yes" and "No" in the dropdown ? I understand the solution you're providing and I appreciate it. Would there be any other way of having both in the dropdown with that rule ? I may be asking for too much for just a formula. Sadly I am unable to use any kind of VBA.

Thank You in Advance

-jlara0687

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    2010, 2019

A dropdown list is intended to be a list of valid choices that the user can choose from. What you are trying to do, I think, is include "No" in the dropdown list, but if the user then selects "No" then you want to display an error message saying that the user shouldn't have selected "No". That being the case, then why would "No" be in the list in the first place?

If you are trying to convey that Task Complete should either be "yes" or blank, then would using a checkbox be clearer than using a dropdown list? The attached workbook shows that approach.

If you really need your original approach then I'm afraid I know of no way (without VBA) to cause the selection of a dropdown list item to generate a popup error. The closest I can think of would be to have some other cell with a formula that checked B5 for "No" and displayed a message. Something like:
    Formula: copy to clipboard
    Please Login or Register  to view this content.

Let me know if either of these options would work for you. If not then maybe someone else will pitch in with an idea.

MS-Off Ver

Thank You very much for your continued support. I'm going to try and see if the option works. We have limited hotbuttons on our modified keyboards. Thats why having to type the word no, as silly as it might sound, puts a hold on production. I think I'm going to have to talk to the network people to see about loosening the VBA restrictions.

I really appreciate your help. Thank You again!!

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    2010, 2019

Thanks for the feedback and reputation points and good luck with your IT folks!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information