+ Reply to Thread

Getting a Grand Average of Counts in a Pivot Table next to the default Grand Total

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Getting a Grand Average of Counts in a Pivot Table next to the default Grand Total

Dear Forum,

I need to get the Average of the Counts used in my Pivot Table, I have three Column Data
    1. Col A- Branch - Name of the Branches
    2. Col B- File No - Actual File Nos
    3. Col C- Month- Contains Apr-19,May-19,Jun-19 and Jul-19

Now I have the Branch in my Row Section of the Pivot table, the Month in the Column Section and the File No in the Data Values where I am taking the Count.
    I get the Grand Total by default, however I need to get the Average of the Counts of File Nos of the months in consideration.
    I managed to do somehow using a Calculated Item however I have to manually add all the items of the months , I need a mechanism where the months get added automatically each month once the data increases every month as this is Year-To-Date Data.

In my workaround, I have created a Calculated Item to get the Grand Average of Counts and also the Grand Total , however it does not include any new months added in the data as I need to manually add it to the items, so is there a workaround without using any helper Columns in the data as i need to get this as a ready-made structure in the Pivot Table.

I can always do the Average Calculation next to my Pivot table however I need it as a part of the Pivot table.

Warm Regards
    e4excel
    Attached Files Attached Files

Forum Contributor
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 365

Re: Getting a Grand Average of Counts in a Pivot Table next to the default Grand Total

Hi,

Please check the attached.
    Changed the layout of your Pivot and created a new one.

Best Regards/VKS

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Re: Getting a Grand Average of Counts in a Pivot Table next to the default Grand Total

Thanks VKS for the help, however I was wanting to understand without using any Helper Columns whether achieving the requirement was possible or not?. I also need the Grand Total of Counts Columnwise and not the Average.
    In your approach , I dont need the Average Total for Columns

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

I have used the Calculated Item but I had to manually insert each item is there a way of overcoming that ?

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Bump a THread

MS-Off Ver
    365 Ent Monthly Channel / Insiders Beta

Not if you only have 2007. Power Pivot would make this possible.
    Rory

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Thanks a lot for the reply, can you help me with the way, I have 2010 Excel at home

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Bump a Thread

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Is there a solution to this ?
    Bump a Thread

MS-Off Ver

It's a little tricky given that you want the grand total sum as well as the overall average, so you need two parts.

First load the source data into a linked table in the PowerPivot tab. Then create a pivot table from it and create two measures:
    1. A simple file count (called FileCount) using:
    =COUNTA(Table1[File No])
    2. An average measure using something like:
    =AVERAGEX(values(Table1[Month]),[FileCount])
    Adding these to your pivot table will basically create two columns for each month, so we now need to remove the monthly averages (since they're the same as the counts) by creating a set. However, in order to make sure that any new months automatically appear in the set, we actually need to use some MDX - namely:

{([Table1].[Month].AllMembers,[Measures].[FileCount]),([Table1].[Month].[All],[Measures].[AverageCount])}

(the first part shows the file count for all the available months, and the second part only show the average for all months combined)

I've done that in the attached version of your file.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Wow Rorya,

This is exactly what I was looking for but I am not able to follow how to decipher it...I just started using Calculated Fields but never used Measures so where do I see what you have done exactly to arrive at this wonderful result...
    I mean I am unable to understand this Pivot Table it looks very different than the commonly used Pivot Tables..

Please explain and then I am done ...I really grateful for your help ...
    God Bless You...I would like to do each and every step to get into my system to use it more frequently..

MS-Off Ver

Make your data into a Table. Load the Power Pivot add-in. Then follow the steps I outlined above to link the table to the data model and create a pivot table from it. You can then right click the table name in the Field list for the pivot table and choose Add Measure to create the two measures needed. Use the Fields, Items and Sets button on the Pivot Table tools tab to create the column Set.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information