+ Reply to Thread

Count How Often Multiple Values Overlap Each Other

Forum Contributor

Question Count How Often Multiple Values Overlap Each Other

Hey Everyone!!

For the second time in as many weeks I'm asking for help with an issue to which I'm not sure will actually have a solution... LOL I was wrong the first time, and hoping I am wrong this time as well!! This might be better placed in the Formulas thread? I am thinking it is complex enough to require a VBA solution, so I'm starting here.

Side note - for all of the below, ignore the goalies. I only need this to work for the 210 Players.

The scenario is relatively simple, and I have attached a sample file. On the Rosters by Coach tab you will see there are 14 Coaches and 6 Sessions, with a space for a roster for each Coach/Session. Total of 210 Players and 14 Goalies - the goalies are not part of this and can be ignored. The user will be filing in the Rank column with the rating (1-210) and the rest auto-populates. When they are done all 86 rosters on this tab will have anywhere from 15-23 Players on it.

Where the first of my two requests for help comes in to play is on the second tab, called Distribution. As the user is assigning kids to each of these rosters, we want to be able to tack how often each of the kids is on the same roster as each of the other kids. There are 86 rosters with a minimum of 15 players on each and only 210 players - we know there is going to be lots of overlap. But for a variety of reasons, we do need to ensure there is as little overlap as possible; that the overlap is distributed as evenly as we can mange. On that Distribution tab I want to list off how often each of the kids is on the same roster as each of the other kids. Sounds simple enough in theory, but I am at an absolute loss as to how to accomplish that, and thinking it may not actually even be possible. Any ideas?

My second issue comes in on the third tab, Rosters by Player. This one I think is going to be possible - I think I've similar to it out there before. But I wasn't able to dig up a usable solution, and I am at a loss as to how to approach this one as well. Its another simple concept, if not simply accomplished. On the Rosters by Player I need to list off, Player by Player, who their coach is for each session. So, for example, Player 1 should be listing Coach Six for Session One and Coach Two for Session Two.

As always, I really appreciate all your help. You guys have been massive lifesavers before, and hoping for another miracle. Thanx everyone!!

Nevi
    Attached Files Attached Files

Forum Contributor

Re: Count How Often Multiple Values Overlap Each Other

Any ideas?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information