+ Reply to Thread

Sheets locked everytime workbook is opened. Testing if sheets are protected returns FALSE

MS-Off Ver

Sheets locked everytime workbook is opened. Testing if sheets are protected returns FALSE

Hello,
    This thread is about sheet protection acting weird, Run-time error '1004' and worksheet_open

I have an annoying problem with protected sheets. I have two simple macros dealing with protection, sheets_lock() and sheets_unlock().
    Basically they just do:
    Please Login or Register  to view this content.
    or
    I also have a Boolean they toggle to monitor if sheets are protected or not, and there's a condition for both that the Boolean must be in the opposite state before running lock or unlock

Now each time I open the workbook, I made it automatically Call sheets_lock()
    I get an error 1004, saying I can't change a lock-toggle-buttons name because sheets are locked. sheets_lock() shouldn't start at all if sheets are locked.
    It gets more interesting. I added messages to debug this problem. I made a debug message to tel me if activeworkbook.sheets("*").Protectcontents = true or false
    It always tells me it's not protected. I also made a message about whether the variable monitoring protection is TRUE or FALSE. Always says false.
    And the next thing is, the button text cant be changed because it's a protected sheet

I can provide any additional information or code if needed. Thanks

Sub sheets_lock:

MS-Off Ver
    Office 2016

Re: Sheets locked everytime workbook is opened. Testing if sheets are protected returns FA

Hi there,

This is difficult to debug properly without access to all of your start-up code.

The (workbook-level? module-level?) variable "sheets_locked" will always have an initial value of False. If this value is not changed before the "sheets_lock" routine is called then all of the code in that routine will be executed. If the "Tuntikirjaus" worksheet was protected when the workbook was last saved then the "sheets_lock" routine will attempt to make changes to the protected worksheet and an error message will be generated.

It might be better to write the "sheets_lock" routine along the following lines:

Hope this helps - please let me know how you get on.

Regards,

Greg M

MS-Off Ver

Re: Sheets locked everytime workbook is opened. Testing if sheets are protected returns FA

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. I realized the variable was useless in there.

Workbook_open normally just does sheets_lock and then an update sub. I also tried setting the variable first, start with unlock first etc. I don't have much going on in workbook-level, just open and sheets_selection_change which only works when content is protected.
    I have only one module and only 3 subs have to do with sheet protection or the variable: lock, unlock and toggle between them from a button.

However the problem here is actually that the sheets are always protected when i open the workbook. Not just interface either. I hope I just fixed this when I added .unprotect to workbook_open

-J

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information