+ Reply to Thread

Dynamic chart in Excel doesn't update in PowerPoint after close/reopen, even with Refresh

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Dynamic chart in Excel doesn't update in PowerPoint after close/reopen, even with Refresh

**Update Using Office 365 for this**

I have a dynamic chart, whose data range is defined by the offset function, with the X and Y data points for the chart defined as named ranges. This works great. I pasted this chart into Powerpoint, maintaining the file links. The data automatically updates in both Excel and PowerPoint when I change the data in Excel.

HOWEVER, after closing and reopening PowerPoint, the chart no longer refreshes. Note that performing the same actions on a chart with a static range has no problem updating after closing/reopening PowerPoint.

Any advice on this? Some things I've though about, but haven't been able to execute:

1) Redefining the range in PPT with a VBA macro? ( I could run a macro from either Excel or PowerPoint, but would prefer from Excel)
    2) Any way to make a dynamic chart (that automatically grows or shrinks based on data that is inserted/removed) in Excel without using a named range? (I tried using a Table instead of Offset function, but I had the same behavior).

My real goal is to have a presentation template automatically updated with data from an Excel template. For example, a user opens the Excel template, pastes in or updates their data, which may be a different size from the template, and then the PowerPoint Template automatically updates with the formatted data.

I included sample files of both Excel and PowerPoint.
    Attached Files Attached Files

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Re: Dynamic chart in Excel doesn't update in PowerPoint after close/reopen, even with Refr

It seems that Excel is stripping out the name of the file from the data source, which makes the named ranges not work. I couldn't find a work-around for that problem, so I am instead making a macro that a user can run that automatically copies each chart into PPT after their data has been entered.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information