+ Reply to Thread

Coloring cells in a sheet based on conditional formatting in other sheet.

MS-Off Ver
    Ofice 2019

Unhappy Coloring cells in a sheet based on conditional formatting in other sheet.

Hello,

I have a sheet containing different itemized lists of set items. This is automatically color coded based on data validation combined with conditional formatting. There are three separate tabs here (Necro 1, Necro 2, Barb 1). Each tab has 2 lists ie. Necro1 A and Necro1B

These sheets then output to a consolidated list showing all of the elements in the other lists in this fashion:
    Rows:
    Necro1A
    Necro1B
    Necro2A
    etc.

Columns: Item 1, Item 2, Item 3 etc.

The issue I am having is taking the cell color (from conditional formatting) on sheets 1-3 and having it output on sheet 4.

I have tried to resolve this using vba but can't get it to work using Interior.Color

The only method that has worked is incredibly tedious. It applies the same conditional formatting to each cell (as they are all unique) as in the original sheets by checking the value of the original cell vs the drop down list values.

This results in 4 separate formulas per cell for 6 lists with 16 items. Can anyone help me simplify this so I don't have to do conditional formatting 384 times?

I have attached the file, you can see the conditional formatting solution approach I took in the Keep sheet A2 and B2. If input is changed in Necro 1 C2 and C3 the color does change. Just hoping for an easier method.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Kenimiro; 07-18-2020 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Attachment

MS-Off Ver
    O365

Re: Coloring cells in a sheet based on conditional formatting in other sheet.

You need to use the DisplayFormat.Interior.Color from the source cell and apply it to the Interior.Color of the cell to be changed.
    Cheers
    Andy
    www.andypope.info

Spammer
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003, Office 365

Not sure...but I think your problem is that when you use conditional formatting to change the colour appearance of the cell, it doesn't update the interior colour.

you may have to copy the cell and use a paste format?

MS-Off Ver
    Ofice 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Pope View Post
    You need to use the DisplayFormat.Interior.Color from the source cell and apply it to the Interior.Color of the cell to be changed.
    Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply, my issue is that as Croweater mentioned it doesn't appear to log Interior.Color when it is done via conditional formatting. I appreciate the thought though and any other tips you may have

MS-Off Ver
    Ofice 2019

Hi Croweater,

Thanks, thats probably what I'll end up doing is pasting the format and just changing the cell information. It's tedious... but it works!

Spammer
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003, Office 365

It needn't be tedious if you do it in VBA. Let me know if you need help with that.

MS-Off Ver
    O365

DisplayFormat is the property to use for obtaining the cell colour, even if CF is applied.

In you code, which I could not make head or tail of, you where setting the DisplayFormat.Interior.Color property. This is wrong.
    You should be reading that property and then applying it to the Interior.Color of the cell being updated.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information