+ Reply to Thread

Formula using Index, Aggregate, Row, Count, Sum, Sumif not giving correct sum of values

MS-Off Ver

Formula using Index, Aggregate, Row, Count, Sum, Sumif not giving correct sum of values

I am using a formula to sum the values in the column if it matches a certain criteria but it is not giving the answer I want. Could you help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? I have a table named Prod with columns labeled Tag and Group. Here is the formula I have in B20: =SUM(SUMIF($A$3:$A$10,INDEX(Prod[Tag],AGGREGATE(15,6,1/(Prod[Group]=A20)*ROW(Prod[Group]),ROW(INDEX($A:$A,1):INDEX($A:$A,COUNT(1/(Prod[Group]=A20)*ROW(Prod[Group])))))),$B$3:$B$10))

help 1.png The table written in red is my desired outcome.
    Help 2.png Here is the table of how I want to seperate my data. It is in a seperate sheet.
    Last edited by planjb; 07-24-2020 at 08:57 AM. Reason: changing title

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 7/10/13/16/365 (PC ver 2310)

Re: Why is my formula not giving the desired value? (Index, Aggregate, Row, Count, Sum, Su

1. Administrative Note:

Welcome to the forum.

We would very much like to help you with your query, however the thread title does not really convey what your request is about. Tell us what you are trying to do, not how you think it should be done.

Please take a moment to amend your thread title. Make sure that the title properly explains your request. Your title should be explicit and not be generic (this includes function names used without an indication of what you are trying to achieve).

Please see Forum Rule #1 about proper thread titles and adjust accordingly. To edit the thread title, open the original post to edit and then click on Go Advanced (bottom right) to access the area where you can edit your title.

(Note: this change is not optional. No help to be offered until this moderation request has been fulfilled.)

2. Please see the yellow banner above on how to upload a sample workbook
    1. Use code tags for VBA. [code] Your Code [/code] (or use the # button)
    2. If your question is resolved, mark it SOLVED using the thread tools
    3. Click on the star if you think someone helped you

Regards
    Ford

MS-Off Ver

Re: Formula using Index, Aggregate, Row, Count, Sum, Sumif not giving correct sum of value

Hi Ford, I hope that this new title is more informative. Thank you for letting me know. Best, planjb

MS-Off Ver
    various

Re: Formula using Index, Aggregate, Row, Count, Sum, Sumif not giving correct sum of value

You could change tack, and use SUMPRODUCT - e.g.:

Formula: copy to clipboard
    Please Login or Register  to view this content.
    it is a little simpler syntax wise, and will obviously adjust to do each day without modification but, it is less efficient in some respects (as conducts SUMIF for each Tag)
    so, if, in real-life, your Prod table is huge - post back.
    Last edited by XLent; 07-23-2020 at 09:26 AM.

MS-Off Ver

Thank you for your help! I'm not sure if this would be the best way to solve my problem since my prod table will be over 90 rows long with a lot more groups than my example. However, I'm just curious... for C20, should the formula be that? The formula is giving me the answer as 24 when it should be 30.

Formula: copy to clipboard
    Please Login or Register  to view this content.

MS-Off Ver
    various

I edited the earlier post I think, a few mins after posting, so it's possible you're using the pre-edit version but...
    w.r.t the formula in post 2 -- that can be applied to entire result matrix (B20:H22) without need for adjustment
    (the use of COLUMNS with a 2 column increment, ensures that as it is dragged to the right the SUMIF uses A:B, then C:D, then E:F etc)

In terms of the Product list -- I'd suggesting testing this approach to benchmark as whilst the 90 Products isn't great (for this approach) there is an overhead with the dynamic AGGREGATE route too - so worth having a performance 'comparison'.
    Last edited by XLent; 07-24-2020 at 04:14 AM.

MS-Off Ver

I just tried this with my real excel and it works! Thank you so much for your help!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information