+ Reply to Thread

Change font color for 30 seconds

MS-Off Ver
    Microsoft 365

Change font color for 30 seconds

Hello all,

I'm working on trying to make a value stand out after it's been input on a shared document.
    Sheet1 references values on Sheet2. When a value is entered on Sheet2, I want the reference to that cell on Sheet1 to change the font color to red for 30 seconds based on the time it was entered.

I've been trying to figure this out for a while so any help is much appreciated.

Banned User!
    MS-Off Ver
    2016 - 365 / 2007

Re: Change font color for 30 seconds

Sheet1 references values on Sheet2. When a value is entered on Sheet2, I want the reference to that cell on Sheet1 to change the font color to red for 30 seconds based on the time it was entered.
    ummmm....why? You might be able to, but honestly I've never seen this question asked from Excel users in 20 years.

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003 /7/10

This works (for a change in C2 OR c3 as an example) but it sits in the loop for the duration which stops you doing other actions. I've set it to 5 seconds for testing purposes. I'm not sure if there is a way to allow background data entry to continue to occur while the Macro is running though. Smarter individuals than I may be able to assist

Please Login or Register  to view this content.
    Happy with my advice? Click on the * reputation button below

Banned User!
    MS-Off Ver
    2016 - 365 / 2007

Croozas code obviously works and I would have given you the same solution because I don't think visual basic can I use a timer any other way than doing a loop like what he did. But I asked the question I asked simply because coloring a cell for 30 seconds I'm not really following why that would even be needed. But I suppose you have your reasons

MS-Off Ver
    Microsoft 365

I'm trying to make the value more noticeable. I set up an audible notification but it's not enough for the people using it. I tried a message box but so far it only pops up for the person who enters the value. I even tried having an email triggered when the value is entered but it still requires the user to hit the send button. I can't rely on that, I need it to be automatic.

Having it temporarily turn red will make the value stand out at a glance for everyone using it.

MS-Off Ver
    Microsoft 365

Thanks Crooza. I'll give this a go when I get into work tomorrow.

Banned User!
    MS-Off Ver
    2016 - 365 / 2007

I seriously doubt that one can enter data into Excel through the interface when code is running simply because I think the entire environment in her face and all including the coding environment is similar to one huge threading process in an operating system. and there for two things can't happen at the same time that are using different features of a of the given program. I might be wrong but that's sort of what I know about this.

regarding the last thing that was posted I don't think that you can have this the way you want it I just don't believe personally that Excel can do this type of thing. but there are many other ways I think that you can make it stand out if that's what you want. But it kind of sounds like your users are kind of needing their hand held? If they are have you considered other options outside of the programming world I mean there's a plethora of ideas that you could come up with I'm sure to get a user to do what you want.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information