+ Reply to Thread

Changing cells to be the theme color?

MS-Off Ver
    2010 Pro Plus

Changing cells to be the theme color?

I have some cells in a spreadsheet that when you change the theme the colours of those cells doesn't change.

What do I need to set in those cells so that they also change colors with the rest of the workbook when I change the theme.

Banned User!
    MS-Off Ver
    2016 - 365 / 2007

Re: Changing cells to be the theme color?

probably nothing. did you set the theme based on the menu options that are in the interface menus?

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 7/10/13/16/365 (PC ver 2310)

Perhaps they have Conditional Formatting applied? Hard to say without a sample WB to look at
    1. Use code tags for VBA. [code] Your Code [/code] (or use the # button)
    2. If your question is resolved, mark it SOLVED using the thread tools
    3. Click on the star if you think someone helped you

Regards
    Ford

MS-Off Ver
    2010 Pro Plus

Quote Originally Posted by FDibbins View Post
    Perhaps they have Conditional Formatting applied? Hard to say without a sample WB to look at
    Sorry I always forget, sample included.
    The cells that are yellow don't change when I go to "Page Layout > Colours" under the theme section.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    Work: Office 365 / Home: Office 2010

Your yellow cells don't use 'theme' colours but 'standard' colours. When you select a cell then then go to the 'Fill Colour' button under 'Font' on the 'Home' tab, you'll see something like the attached picture.
    The only colours which change when you change the theme are those in the top row and the ones derived from them in the five rows below. The colours under 'Standard Colours' stay the same even when you change the theme.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aardigspook; 10-19-2020 at 04:55 PM.
    Regards,
    Aardigspook

I recently started a new job so am a bit busy and may not reply quickly. Sorry - it's not personal - I will reply eventually.
    If your problem is solved, please go to 'Thread Tools' above your first post and 'Mark this Thread as Solved'.
    If you use commas as your decimal separator (1,23 instead of 1.23) then please replace commas with semi-colons in your formulae.
    You don't need to give me rep if I helped, but a thank-you is nice.

MS-Off Ver
    2010 Pro Plus

ah thanks, I was trying to do it under "format cells" and it wasn't working.

MS-Off Ver
    2010 Pro Plus

ok so the other problem I'm having now is I can't seem to get some colours right.
    Using the waveform theme colours, if I change accent 1 it will change A11 and A13/14 as they use the same accent.
    However what I can't figure out is A11 is a different shade from A13/14
    If I change accent 1 to black A13/14 are solid black, while A11 turns into a grey colour.

Is there a shading option somewhere I'm missing? A11 and A13 shouldn't even be using the same colour/accent.

The reason I don't change just those is because there are other "changeable cells" in the workbook and I don't want to have to go and manually change all the colours of each of those cells.

Forum Expert
    MS-Off Ver
    Work: Office 365 / Home: Office 2010

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSoul View Post
    ah thanks, I was trying to do it under "format cells" and it wasn't working.
    There are lots of ways to change the fill colour of cells: via 'format cells', via the 'fill colour' button on the ribbon, via the 'fill colour' button when you right-click on a cell, etc. They all have the same effect, so it doesn't matter which you use.
    You can also do it by applying a Style from the Styles Gallery via 'Cell Styles' in the 'Styles' section of the Home tab. These sometimes change just the fill colour but sometimes change the font colour, font size, bold, italic, borders, etc as well. You can define your own Styles too. You could create on called 'Changeable' and another called 'Copy to Tune' for example. Then you could apply these Styles to all the appropriate cells.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSoul View Post
    ok so the other problem I'm having now is I can't seem to get some colours right. (rest of post snipped)
    You say that 'it will change A11 and A13/14 as they use the same accent' then you say 'A11 and A13 shouldn't even be using the same colour/accent' - which is correct?
    This obviously isn't on the sample file you uploaded, because A13/14 are yellow on that.

If you apply the same accent colour and % to two cells, then change the theme, they should both change equally. So I suspect that A11 and A13/14 don't actually use the same settings, probably just two settings which look almost the same.

Without knowing the structure of your file, I can't suggest a better way to check/fix this than manually checking, sorry.
    If you have multiple sheets with exactly the same layout, you can select multiple sheets, so that when you select a cell/cells you can change that/those on all the selected sheets simultaneously.

I hope that helps a bit.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information