+ Reply to Thread

Scatter plot hide legend items with no data behind

MS-Off Ver

Scatter plot hide legend items with no data behind

Dear all,

I have a file with two sheets one with the data (example below) that gets filled out of matlab and one sheet that presents a scatter chart of the data with various lines (in the legenda a through e). It's possible that randomly one of the columns with the data has only zero's/no data see the example below like the column 'c'.

a b c d e
    1 1 0 1 1
    2 2 0 2 2
    3 3 0 3 3
    4 4 0 4 4
    5 5 0 5 5

Is there a possibility without doing this manually hide the 'c' column from the legenda when the excel file is automatically filled by matlab.

Tnx for any help
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by -Switch-On-; 10-20-2020 at 04:49 AM.

Forum Guru
    MS-Off Ver
    2002/XP and 2007

Re: Scatter plot hide legend items with no data behind

After a day without response, I will venture something. As far as I know, there is not built in way to do this except manually. As with most things in Excel, you can write a VBA macro procedure that will do the same thing that you are doing manually. In this case, you would use LegendEntries(index).Delete method to remove a legend entry (LegendEntry Object help file: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/off...dentry(object) ). One thing to keep in mind is that, as explained in the help file, there is no way to resurrect a legend entry once deleted. You would need to delete the legend and recreate it, so an approach that involves deleting legend entries is probably best applied to a template file where you are always starting with the full legend before importing the data from matlab. You have not explained how the data is getting into Excel from Matlab, so this may or may not easily integrate into your current importation strategy.

Some charting experts are not fond of legends at all. If you are not required to use a legend, these types prefer using a data label on one point (often first or last point, but not necessarily) in the data series. The advantage of this approach for your purpose would be when the data series is blank, there is no data point to plot and, therefore, no data label is visible in the chart, and it would be automatic. The main difficult I foresee is whether you can easily choose the data point to label up front and always use the same point, or if you need a complicated algorithm to decide which point to label after the data are imported. But, your OP was about legends, so I'm not sure if this kind of approach would be allowed.

Do either of those options seems workable?
    Quote Originally Posted by shg
    Mathematics is the native language of the natural world. Just trying to become literate.

MS-Off Ver

Re: Scatter plot hide legend items with no data behind

Thank you for your reply. I guess we're going to work something else out then.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information