+ Reply to Thread

Multiple Drop Down Box

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 365

Question Multiple Drop Down Box

Hi,

So, this might be a simple request, but it went over my head trying to figure out the right way to solve this.

What I am trying to make is a simple list of multiple Selection (Drop Down) boxes that eventually will lead to a specific item that the guys can add the cost of to a project.

Trying to explain it in further details:

The plan is to have 2 different sheets, where the first sheet is where the guys will do their selection.
    Second sheet is locked and only I can add/remove stuff the lists / call it an administration sheet.

- First Drop-down box will contain 4 different categories (Machine Nails, Screws, Windproof, Glue)
    The list of the types is managed on (Admin) sheet ROW A1-A4.

- Second Drop down box will be dependent on the choices made in the first with Types (Type Nails, Type Screws, Type Windproof, Type Glues)
    This list will also be managed but have 4 different tabs with a list for Nails/screws/Windproof/Glue FX ROW C1-C8 D1-D8 E1-E8 F1-F8

- Third Drop down box will be dependent on the choices made on the third box with dimensions/specified for Nails / Screws / Windproof / Glue
    Same as the second box, managed on Admin sheet and has its only lists for dimensions for each type FX ROW G1-G8 H1-H8 I1-I8 J1-J8

When the choice has been made in the third box, it should automatically fill in Dimensions/Cost and "hopefully" a picture of the box below for quality control that the right Type is added to the project’s cost.

Then it needs a down box that specifies the right project ID - this should be auto filled from a different excel document where we have our project calculations.

Lastly when the right choice has been made, I’m planning on adding a macro button that writes the cost back to the above excel document where it adds the cost to the project with the same ID - and resets the drop down boxes.

I know this is a big order, and I dont expect anyone to bother helping me with all of this, but if someone could just point in the direction of some videos tutorials (Ive tried, but havent found exactly what im looking for)
    That would be greatly appreciated...

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

Re: Multiple Drop Down Box

You could use a UserForm based upon the attached.
    Cascading comboboxes filter down choices.
    torachan.
    Attached Files Attached Files

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 365

Thank you Torachan, ill look into this.

My personal experience with Userforms though that they are more complicated to figure out?

MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

You have mentioned in your post that you are preparing to write a macro to post the costs back to a sheet, you are halfway into producing a code driven app.
    Once you start using UserForms + VBA on sheet formula will become a thing of the past.
    Attached is a more representative example - no need for seperate lists - use a composite list similar to a stocklist.
    The code eliminates duplicates in the dropdowns - you can filter as many relevant columns as neccessary.
    torachan.
    Attached Files Attached Files

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information